Avalon's "Symbol": Good As "Other" $3500 Spks??

Need input about Avalon Acoustics "Symbol" speaker and how it compares to other speakers in the $3500 price range, like Revel F-30, Audio Physic Tempo3i, Totem's "Forest". How deep and tight is the bass, considering it uses only two 5.5 inch drivers for the mids and lows. Is the "soundstaging" and "imaging" as good as the more expensive Avalon speakers. Or, is this just a Home Theater product which does not qualify as "hi-end" sound?? The Symbols look cool, but seem fairly expensive for what they offer. Are they really worth their retail price??
sunnyjim
I auditioned them recently against some Quad 12L's and I felt the Quad's were much better in terms of midrange fluidity and overall musicality. The Quads gave up just a little in terms of soundstaging and imaging, but were far better at 1/3 the price.
Ended up with Green Mountain Europas. They sound most like actual music to me. (in an 11x12x9' room with hardwoods and a good bit of room treatments). They do need a small sub, though.

The highs aren't ultra-extended and the lower bass isn't perfect but, for 90% of what I can hear, they sound most like what actual voices and instruments sound like. That was my goal.... Goal realized...

-C

A long ignored thread but figured I should weigh in. I was a Symbol owner for a number of years, and they were absolutely perfect in my tiny apartment at the time. Saw the complaint about the treble but that may be the amp used, or related to break-in - I used an integrated Cayin A-88T tube amp with the stock KT-88s and NOS Tung Sol 6SN7s and it sounded fantastic. I've seen two different tweeter types used by Avalon on this speaker, and I had the gray toned version (not the shiny black ones), which were similar in design to those produced by Focal. As for bass, they are designed as a satellite speaker, and they are literally meant to be used with a sub in the original Avalon configuration/offering, so be sure to include one. I had a REL which sounded perfect. They are also meant to be broken in with approx. 150 hours of playing time, per the manual. All that said, when properly dialed in, this speaker/sub combination sounded incredible. Had no urge to upgrade for seven years thereafter. I'd buy them again.