Is JRiver still the best software?

Finally got around to curing a nagging problem with my MacBook Pro (13", mid-2012) that had stalled my converting it into a music server.  Looked back into the advice I got here several years ago on the matter, and JRiver was the top recommendation.  Is that still the case today?  I'm running OS X Catalina on a fresh install and will be feeding a McIntosh C50 that accepts up to 32 bit, 192 kHz PCM input.

Thanks in advance for the benefit of your wisdom!
effischer
Thank you for the input, everybody.  It tracks with what I'd been advised before.  Went ahead and pulled the trigger earlier today, imported my library and gave it a brief try.

It has noticeably better sound quality than Apple Music, but doesn't knock me out.  The software is far more feature-loaded with much finer control and that makes it less user-friendly, too.  As a case in point, I still haven't figured out why only a Chesky HD sampler and a Linn 24 bit Christmas download have their metadata and album names.  Several searches haven't pointed me in the right direction yet, so I'll have to keep trying.

The biggest disappointment turns out to be that it apparently can't control the computer MIDI hardware output settings automatically in real time to match native resolution of the source material.  To change from Red Book to 32 bit 192 kHz for example, I have to reset the MIDI output manually and restart the computer to save the setting.  

I was originally given to understand that was something that the software could do based on input to a posting here about the same isuue with iTunes back in 2014 or so.  A deep-ish dive into the JRiver support forums indicates it hasn't existed, if it ever did, since ~2016.

Worse, the MacBook MIDI does not upscale well; things like vocal harmonies get very harsh.  Downscaling works somewhat better although it sounds artificial.  That means a noticeable playback inconvenience remains.

So, if anyone knows how to address the MIDI control concern or has a tip about the weird metadata result, I'll appreciate your input.  Thanks again!
JRiver when properly set up, and with Redbook or HD sources, will definitely "knock you out" in comparison to Apple Music, if the rest of your system is even basically adequate.
Why are you resorting to a MIDI protocol?  This likely relies upon your computer hardware sound card for a conversion that you will want to entirely bypass.
I assume you are using Macbook's USB Out to Mcintosh 50 Digital In.  Go to Jriver Wiki and follow instructions for DACs with direct USB connection.  If your MaC DAC has a proprietary software driver, use it.  If not, under "Audio Output/Output Mode" select "Core Audio".   Then follow the other setup recommendations in the Wiki.
That should get you started and may also solve the data display problems you mentioned.

Your DAC appears to take the direct PCM digital stream of any resolution and upsamples it to 32/196, but the incoming preconversion bit/sample rates should be displayed on your screen.

You will also find that JRiver completely supports appropriately configured metadata.

@sandstone I appreciate the input - gave me the trail of breadcrumbs I needed to sort things out.

It wasn’t actually quite that simple; had to uninstall and reinstall JRiver before I was able to bypass the MIDI and get the settings changes to work. Tested it briefly this morning and verified files run in native resolution. FWIW, the C50 DAC doesn’t upconvert, just automatically adjusts to incoming bit depth and frequency.

Still haven’t been able to obtain the metadata; JRiver doesn’t seem to know where to find it. Maybe I just have to leave it running the search function for a few hours. Haven’t spent that much time on it and it’s not a huge priority anyway.

Thanks again!

FWIW, the C50 DAC doesn’t upconvert, just automatically adjusts to incoming bit depth and frequency.

I'm sure others have different opinions, but I never like up-converting Redbook CD or lower bit rates to something higher.  It is a DSP process that attempts to put additional time slices in between the 44.1kz sampling data.  It may create a "smoother" sound, but it's artificial and I find that I like listening to the original 16/44.1 sampling better.  It has more impact because the timing is closer to the truth of how the waveforms are presented rather than a theoretical conversion to a higher sampling rate.

@auxinput I fully agree, which is why I’ve been chasing this irritating fly in the ointment for so long. Moreover, the native file is how the artist released the material, and one would presume that’s how it was meant to be presented.

It also turns out I spoke a bit too soon about everything working correctly after my quick test. Hadn’t looked at the output data carefully enough. Turns out that while JRiver is now presenting the native frequency (44.1, 192, whatever), the bit depth is fixed at 32. This is confirmed by both the audio data window within Media Center 27 and the C50 on-board display. The data window shows the native data and the output data. The output data matches the C50 display. One example was a Linn classical piece with native 24 / 88.2 and was running at 32 / 88.2. It sounded quite a bit better than when both bitrate and frequency were upsampled, but still artificial.

I’ve posted on the Media Center support forum to see if I’ve missed setting a software switch somewhere; no replies yet. The Apple support forums aren’t especially helpful other than to say that the MIDI interface will only output at whatever bitrate and frequency combination is selected in it. I knew that already and am trying to bypass it as @sandstone suggested. This whole computer audio thing is very frustrating. All I want to do is play digital music in native format. The only device I have that will do that is my MVP-881BR. So far, it’s the hands-down winner in both convenience and sound quality.