FM Tuners

I would like to add a tuner to my system.

I am only beginning to research this, so anyone with experience that could help narrow my focus would be appreciated. I'm not looking for vintage receivers with built-in amps. I'd like a tuner to run into a Van Alstine SET 120, which is a control amp with a passive pre-amp section.

A tuner with a built-in pre-amp is not necessary, but I'm wondering if that might just be the ticket.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

128x128imaninatural

You may be able to get a decent amount of stations with a $2.00 dipole. Rooftop is mandatory for optimum performance.

Likewise, completely!  I couldn't get the better half to agree on mounting a rooftop on our new construction, so I had to compromise between the simple dipole and a rooftop with the ST-2.  I mounted this in our rather large attic, against the rafters.  Not only did it make the MD sing, but the Yamaha and Adcom were very happy to inherit it. 😉

The next best was the Accuphase T-101 which I bought from a guy/company who was getting rid of all of his modded tuners.

Love the look of Accuphase (and Luxman) stuff!  Didn't know about the T-101; it'll be hilarious to see the look on the better half's face when she realizes I'm looking for another tuner, after having sold the last one many moons past.

I’ve owned a Magnum Dynalab FT-101A since new. It was upgraded by MD to an Etude, and I recently upgraded the capacitors in the power section as well as the output section.

Much prefer the sound I get from the analog tuner to what internet radio provides. It’s far more musical. Does it have the resolution? No. But it sounds better to my ears. 
Not sure how radio fills your day, but I listen to it all day long. Need something pleasant sounding.

And the ST-2 antenna is a must for any tuner. It really is amazing!  Sure, you can make one  - thick solid copper wire attached to a coax cable (copper wire being 1/2 the wavelength of the middle of the dial which is approximately 1.5 meters) - but the ST-2 sounds better and pulls in more stations. 

I have been more than happy with a Carver TX-11 I picked up used for $80. Along with sounding great to my ears, it has a relatively high output signal, which may be an advantage if pairing with a passive preamp.

@christian 

Accuphase T-101 Super Tuner | Tuners | Audiogon

Give this guy a call to discuss this tuner. I can tell you that my modded one sounds exceptional. The link above is for the same seller that modded mine. I met him in-person when we did the sale. A bit of a tuner guru.

The Accuphase looks like a very fine piece, especially being refurbished with expert care, but the price is too much of a stretch for me.

I'd be more comfortable under $300.

These responses have been very helpful and I am going back and forth between tuners for sale and the fmtunerinfo page.

Magnum Dynalab seems like a good choice and am keeping my eyes out for nice vintage, but it does seem that the older tuners especially, may benefit from some refurbishing and/or upgrades.

The hunt continues for now!