Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Some people think that music must continue to ’evolve’. And this is true. Most things do evolve. However, ’evolve’ does not mean ’get better’.

No genre that I am aware of has always gotten better. Some, like Classical are performed at a higher level than they were previously, but this is due to better recording technology, better trained players / conductors, better instruments in general... etc but the compositions are not getting better. Same applies to Jazz, Rock, Pop, Blues, spirituals, and others. Remember, the Bell Curve still rules.

BTW, I said Glass put me to sleep because it really did. :)

Cheers

Also, remember The Frogman’s First Law.
Truly great post!

Thanks very much....

First i want to apologize to you because i read your past  post out of your context and place and misread it in my context and place...

I misread your intention, then i apologize....

Your post is really great observation...

Music in occidental consciousness history has evolved not toward always the best and the better ,sometimes for the less and the worst....It is particularly evident in our times...

The reason linked to this deep fact is a loss of creativity on the spiritual ground...

However in spite of these facts some geniuses stay hidden or veiled because their spirit participate more, of a relatively long history, or of a too much distant future...

Thanks for helping me understanding that.....

My deepest respect...
Also, remember The Frogman's First Law.
I know a "frogman" but i am embarassed to say that i dont know what frogman first law is...

Please if you may help me ?

😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊😊
There is two people here who publicly say they loathe Wagner and Liszt.
I happen to love both those composers for the music they wrote but I hate Wagner as a human being so am I wrong to say that now?
Perhaps i overreacted reading your post jim

It is alas! my passionate temper again....and i think i was too much enebriated by this Glass opera i was just going out of it...

I sincerely apologize to you and i perfectly understand that between friends we are not in the obligation to think the same about any composer...

You are right on this....

My deepest respect to you....
@frogman -- I enjoyed my Nyiregyhazi Lizst LP for a good while but, yeah, he's not exactly for the long haul. As much as I love a bit of self-indulgence, he went a bit over the edge. And am I nuts, or did I actually see him live in L.A.? Maybe at the Ambassador Auditorium?
I'll chime in and report my love for the music of Philip Glass.  He is a great composer.  While his earlier works -- such as the operas Akhnaten and Satyagraha -- are perhaps his best-known, and I enjoy them, I particularly love later works, such as the opera Kepler.

Kepler is an astonishingly beautiful, rhythmically forceful and impactful opera. The CD of Kepler is well worth a listen -- it rocks!

Glass's opera Orphee is also one of my favorites.  It is based on Jean Cocteau's great film, Orpheus, but in my view, arguably surpasses the original (just as Verdi's Otello arguably surpasses Shakespeare's Othello).

Other great Glass works include his 8th Symphony, his cantata Itaipu, and his first violin concerto (get the Kremer version).  Much of his best work is unfortunately not available on Qobuz, but is readily available on CD.  I strongly recommend a 2017 recording streaming on Qobuz -- Vikingur Olafsson's record of Glass Piano Works.