B&W Matrix 801 Series II

There is a pair for sale in my area for $2000. Anyone have an opinion on these speakers? Are they good sounding speakers or just okay? I believe they are pretty old. My interest in them is because they are local so no shipping and I understand B&W makes some very good speakers. Thanks for the help.
wemfan
Funny story. That amp is a beast. I am sure it sounds great. I was rereading this thread and saw where you had listed one that was on Audiogon when this thread started but has since expired. I had forgotten about it.
Krell fpb600

here's the link again. not affiliated with the ad.
fwiw - in Canada this amp was close to $20k when new due to the dollar.
If built today I hazard a wild guess at over twice - or more - its new price back then to make today.

Finding synergy is the key as Frogman mentioned earlier.

imo -synergy means different things for each of us.

1) Some try to buy "Synergy". The latest and greatest products. in my personal experiences - I have not met one satisfied rich audiophile. They trade their gear like their stocks. But I need them because I buy used and take the depreciation - this allows me the cash needed to play with a few other hobbies.

2) Some try to find "Synergy" by DIY (do it yourself). Some build amps, others rip open their speakers and upgrade parts.

Others construct turntables ....... :^( - I got lost on this one myself for a good 6 years.

3) Some try to find "Synergy" buy doing as much homework as they can ahead of time. Educating themselves. Before they bring the products in. You seem to be most like this type from the posts to me. This is very good - imo.

Type 4 ?

For me personally 2 and 3 have produced the longest lasting feeling of satisfaction. Even when I have bought new and it worked out well the feeling of contentment never lasted as long. Probably because I did not learn anything along the way. This is all about the music and how it makes me feel. The equipment part for me is the "hobby part". I need to be learning to stay entertained.

When the music itself becomes a means to the end - its time to come up for some air. The symptoms when this happens are pretty clear.

Cheers
My previous post relates to my personal experiences.
If any of this info hits home with anyone it is pure coincidence.
I was just sharing.
Wemfan - I apologize for suggesting you seem to be a fit a certain type.
This was wrong and none of my business.

I'll just say...
I always try to match amp up with speaker. Not speaker with amp.
The speaker is what interfaces with the room.

On the preamp side - along with being compatible with your amp it needs to serve the needs of your source.
We have no information at all on this other than you use cd's and records.
We need to know brands, cartridge type, etc...
Happy listening.
Good luck with your search.

Cheers
No worries, Tim.

I finally brought the Krell 350mcx mono amps home for a demo. I have been A/B ing back and forth with the MC 275 all evening and I really like the Krells. Of course there are things I like about each amp better than the other but I really like these Krell monos for the inefficient B&Ws. They are a good match.
I finally brought the Krell 350mcx mono amps home for a demo.

Nice ... how long do you have to play with them before having to make a decision ?

of course there are things I like about each amp better than the other

I'd be interested in any impressions you can share with how they compare to the Parasound and the McIntosh.

Do the Krell mono's have what it takes to fill your 30 x 30 x 11 space "comfortably" without clipping ?

Regarding amplifier clipping and how to know when it is happening.
The B&W Support site has an interesting description of how to know when an amplifier is starting to clip.
Taken from the link.

How can I tell if the amplifier is clipping?

The initial stages of clipping add harshness to the sound. At higher levels, this progresses to a gritty sound; not dissimilar to the effects of having fluff on the stylus of a vinyl disc player.

From my experiences on the 801 s3 - clipping becomes much more obvious with a SS amp over Tubes.
This is why it is so important imo to ensure your amps/s and especially SS amps are "cruising" - not working hard - when playing peaks in your music.

Its frustrating and a wreck of the experience if your into your music and it is sounds lovely; then it reaches a climactic point in the song - you're right there with it - and the balloon bursts as you hear that little bit of harshness kick in. We have all been there ?
This could be because the amp is working as designed and just doesn't have enough balls. Or maybe a good indicator that it needs work - ie. maybe the capacitors need to be changed?

fwiw - I would put on some nice full orchestral classical music that has huge dynamic swings - starting quiet to loud and back to quiet - passages and "crank it" in your room to find out. This is a test drive and you don't have your wife or neighbors (or the sellers of the amps) telling you to keep it down. :^)

Cheers