Top 3 songs to evaluate a system

Hi everyone,

So here is the question: what are your Top 3 music pieces to evaluate a system?

The songs should be complementary to cover a wider range of features, but not necessary. If you only listen to one type of music, it would make sense to only evaluate with this type.

Bonus: identify one good part of the piece where you pay extra attention because this is where the difference between systems is more visible.

I'll start:

Holly Cole Trio - Girl Talk - My Baby Just Cares For Me
Highlight: The vibrating cord at 1:59

MaMuse - All The Way - Glorious
Highlight - The clean guitar and the high drum beat that rythm the whole piece

Metallica - ... And Justice for All (Remastered) - One
Highlight - The first drums at 0:53, but the whole guitar as well

Doing this myself, I realize it's very hard to only pick 3!!

papyneau
Post removed 
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

Great for testing dynamics, BUT ONLY the 1976 original vinyl. Every CD version I have heard is compressed to death. Just horrible...

The opening track, Medieval Overture, is a good place to start, especially Lenny White’s monster drums starting about 1:00 minute in. But the entire album is very dynamic.

Ernst Krenek - Static and Ecstatic

On the Varese International label. Musically, it is pretty thorny sounding modern classical music, so YMMV, but for testing imaging and soundstage, it is on another level. If you can’t imagine yourself being able to walk ’into’ the soundstage and among each individual musician in the chamber orchestra, the system you are listening to does not image very well.

Ralph Towner - Solo Concerts

On ECM. The brilliant guitarist Ralph Towner, live playing acoustic guitar. He should appear at about the height of someone sitting on a stool, and every nuance of his guitar should be readily identifiable. Each sound of fingers on the strings, finger plucking, the sound of the guitar body, the attack and decay of the instrument should be completely discernable.

I could name a dozen or more ECM recordings. Other than the overuse of reverb in the studio on some ECM recordings, they tend to be very natural sounding. It’s hard to go wrong with the vast majority of ECM recordings, on vinyl or CD.

Oh, it looks like I didn’t include any recordings with vocals.

Renaissance - Novella

On vinyl or the early CD versions. Any CD I have heard made aver 2000, is compressed within an inch of its life.

Annie Haslam’s vocals, with her perfect intonation, 5 octave range, dynamics and emotion, should be very clear in the recording, despite the full and intense orchestrations.

Yeah Miller. I really do like your comments. But....im a guitarist, and pianist. That being said, WOW, you guys all just gave me some GREAT music to listen to that ive never heard :-)
One of my old time references is “Jim Hall - Live - Toronto 1975”. Especially “The Way You Look Tonight”. This album is a nice natural recording; especially of drums and bass. Nice subtle and occasionally surprising dynamics that don’t sound compressed to me. Another nice effect is the ambient sound of the venue, crowd and clinking glasses. Whether Jim’s free flowing solos are your taste or not this recording is an interesting listen sonically.

These are all available on Tidal.

Madonna – “Vogue” from the Immaculate Collection. This version was remastered with Q-sound and extends certain sounds a foot or more outside of the speaker’s sound stage. It’s uncanny. 

“The Pink Panther” (original motion picture soundtrack). This is from the Steve Martin remake and pays meticulous homage to Henry Mancini’s original recording. Amazing dynamics with the horn section, and excellent space around the instruments. Even the triangle is a joy to hear. This will give your system a workout.

Poncho Sanchez “El Conguero” from Latin Soul (Live). Great horns, vocals and a percussion section that appears live in your room. Grammy winner. 

Pat Metheny “Don’t Know Why” from One Quiet Night. Solo acoustic guitar. One of the best recordings of acoustic guitar I’ve ever heard. Stellar, moving performance and interpretation of the Norah Jones classic.