Tweeter Distortion

I have an old pair of Merlin 2B plus speakers which I love. I know- they are ancient, but great!
Anyway, recently, I begun to hear distortion in the tweeters. It's coming through from all sources. I don't remember blasting music, or even listening to loud music. It is most apparent in vocals, and in some string instruments.
They are biwired with Kimber Kable, and my amp and preamp are all working fine.
Is it possible that both tweeters need to be replaced, or could it be something else?
128x128oilbird
Hi Oilbird,

Could be...if you are hearing the distortion more often at louder levels, there may be a crack in the tweeter which means it needs to be replaced. Can you get a pair of bookshelves or anything else you can borrower just to test without going thru the replacement?
Good idea,
I have a pair of bookshelves I'll use to see if it's the speakers themselves.
cool...pls let us know. good luck. believe it or not, on my Oppo player, when the volume cranks, the RCA jacks create a crackle in one tweeter...no idea why. but when i use the digital out from my oppo into my DAC and crank it...no tweeter crackle at all, at ridiculous volumes on video. So everyonce in a while, it can be something else you would not normally expect.
That's interesting. I just split my 15 foot Kimber Kable and terminated them into 2 pairs of 7.5 foot sections to bi-wire my speakers. I don't think that's the problem, but I'll check.