MSB Link Dac 3- have modded or go Benchmark ?or?

I am looking for advise.Should I send my MSB Link Dac III out and have it modded.Modwright or who?I hope to get a response from someone who has a modded MSB Link III.Mine has the upsample option and P1000 power supply.Also I hope to get a response from members that had a MSB and went to something they liked better.No mega buck solutions please.I could invest a max of $1500 on a used unit.However if a $500 upgrade mod would be a giant leap (at least more than a small step)foward for the unit I already have, I would be interested.Or do you think I am just throwing good money after bad. Thanks,gixerman
gixerman
Matt,The power base added more bottom end and made my rig sound more dynamic.Kind of like the dif. between a 25w amp compaired to say a 50w amp.At any rate it sounded more powerful(not louder).As for the upsample option,I feel it ads some detail and sounds transparent.I also use a Monarchy Audio jitter bug(not a fishing lure).This seem to me as making the sound a bit smoother and more"analog like". These pieces go reasonable used and for three or four hundred$$ on the used market. In IMHO would be a worth while investment.If you don"t like it you will be able to resell the units and loss very little if anything.Thanks,Gixerman
I don't know if he even mods the MSB, but I'd get in touch with Paul at Tube Research Labs (TRL). He modded my cd player and the difference was stunning. I know he does DAC's also and most(if not all)people are very happy with the work he's done.

He's also pretty honest. I had a different player that I was going to send to him and he said "I'll do it if you want, but honestly we haven't been happy with the results we're getting with that one".

Plus they have a money back guarentee!
Ooohhppss,Sorry about the mistatement in my earlier post.The Monarchy Audio is a D.I.P. not a jitter bug.
Gixerman, I just posted to your other thread before I saw this one (read it and you'll see why ;^)

Anyway, I once tried an MSB Gold Link w/P1000, with my Monarchy DIP and fed from a Theta Pearl. The Gold Link is of course MSB's own "modded" Link III, the top iteration of that model. The reference for comparison was my Theta DSPro Basic IIIa (a more expensive unit when it was new, but also older, non-upsampling, and available today used for under $1K). The Gold Link did not suit my preferences and I resold it (I still have the Theta). More importantly for you than my preferences though, I did an objective test of reproduction accuracy which you can read about here. The results could suggest, in combination with your system and wants from the other thread, that you may be better off going in a different direction.
Thanks Gixerman. I purchased a used p1000 here on Audiogon for $2oo and am waiting for it to arrive. Matt....