I'm here for the sharing, not the snobery

Just a quick note.  Things around here on Audiogon have been interesting over the past couple of weeks as I've watched a number of trolls shift the tenor of the discussions.

I wanted to say that I fully support information sharing, doing things ourselves, experimentation and ways to broaden who is among us.

The idea that you are or are not an audiophile based on what you have spent, or what exclusive line of products you have purchased is not one I want to support.  We should find ways to share, not exclude our passion and grow our dwindling numbers.

Building kits and systems with the younger generation is a fantastic way of getting them into STEM as well as into audio, not to mention builds light years worth of knowledge in very little time.  As I've said before, our hobby was built by experimenters, tinkerers and lovers of music much more so than by lovers of spending.

I'll support inclusive, fact based discussions and those who are intellectually curious every time I can.
erik_squires
vladtheimpala -- back when I was in grad school getting an M.A. in Linguistics (a pursuit that took me absolutely nowhere BTW), the professors would utter an "Ugh! Orthography!" whenever somebody brought up spelling. I also gotta say that, spellcheck notwithstanding, laptops & hand-held devices have wreaked havoc on us ignorant, clumsy-fingered hoi-polloi. 
vladtheimpala -- back when I was in grad school getting an M.A. in Linguistics (a pursuit that took me absolutely nowhere BTW),

i guess that this impression about linguistic study is related more about the teachers you had than about the field itself....

For sure "orthograph" hide deepest secrets than we could ever dream of....

In linguistic all consciousness history hide for example in the historical use of some consonant or not in a word.... And the use/meaning ratio transformation of the words in centuries is like a carrot in geological strata of the conscious mind evolution....

It is boosting our own I.Q. with some potent drug....

I suggest:

Owen Barfield : "history in english words" to have a clue...

https://www.amazon.com/History-English-Words-Owen-Barfield-ebook/dp/B008RLXELG

One of my geatest experience in life was linguistic studies, among others studies, and with a great unknown master in the English world: Gustave Guillaume...hIs works are huge and is now in the course of publication in frencch and amount around 40 volumes for now....

His morphologetical dynamic studies about words are like boosting your I.Q. with LSD...
Mahgister (did I mention this, but can I call you Louie?), good points.  And I got to agree that my Linguistics professors were probably just having a bit of sport with the more uptight students.
Mahgister (did I mention this, but can I call you Louie?), good points. And I got to agree that my Linguistics professors were probably just having a bit of sport with the more uptight students.
I understand....

But i could not resist to answer to your post because linguistic study was for me an illumination....

😊😊😊😊

my deepest regards to you...