Will computer to DAC replace transports and cdp's?

From my limited reading it seems that a cd burned to a hard drive will be a bit for bit copy because of the software programs used to rip music files. A transport has to get it right the first time and feed the info to a dac. Wavelength audio has some interesting articles about computer based systems and have made a strong statement that a transport will never be able to compete with a hard drive>dac combo.

Anybody care to share their thoughts?
kublakhan
My recent experiments with the computer and a USB DAC have proved to me the superiority of the computer model for playback of CDs. There is no going back for me.

Steve
Mburnstein - You dont want the computer to have the I2S interface. This would introduce computer clock, power supply and ground noise into the signals. The best way is to use an external WiFi or USB to I2S converter with it's own power supply, preferably battery. My company makes these. The result in unlike any digital audio you have heard. Eliminating the S/PDIF interface makes a huge improvement by reducing jitter to infinitesimal levels. Here is a link to a recent professional review of an I2S-based system:
http://www.americanwired.com/audio/empirical/offramp.html

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
I use a Waveterminal U24 to take the USB signal from my computer and convert it to S/PDIF -- and then run coaxial out to my DAC. The U24 does not require its own power as it pull that from the USB cable: I am assuming this is a good thing?
Pardales - no this is not a good thing. The power is coming from the computer.

Power the Converter from battery or at least it's own power supply and you will realize a big improvement.