Rega Apollo & Sony X5000

Hi,

I was about to settle for Rega Apollo until I came acroos for Sony X5000 offer for cheaper price. is it worth it?
hi5
DSchroeder & MJ
What are your thoughts comparing the new Apollo with the current Jupiter 2000? Also, have you guys heard any rumors about the Saturn (jupiter replacement)?
Thanks,
Bird
This was from a rega dealer in London:

The Apollo is slightly different in its presentation to the Jupiter so I
wouldn't want to say one is better than the other, but the Jupiter has
extremely good bass extension, definition and scale and the Apollo is more
forward through the mid range with greater retrieval of ambient/acoustic
information. We have both on dem here so you're welcome to book an
appointment and come and have a listen for yourself.
If I can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to let me know.
Best regards,
Peter Empson
Noteworthy Audio

The Saturn still in early stage but the first listening session by them was impressive according to one of the team member.

I have not had the opportunity to compare the Jupiter to the Apollo. However, I understand that the Apollo is better than the Jupiter. I understand that the Jupiter was only marginally better than the Planet 2000, and many people decided the extra cost was not worth it so they went with the Planet 2000. Well, I owned the Planet, and the sound isn't even close to what the Apollo can do. A HUGE leap forward with the Apollo. Based on that, go straight for the Apollo. I agree with Peter, the Rega dealer's assessment that the Apollo gives better " greater retrieval of ambient/acoustic information." At least from my experience, the Apollo gave SPADES, nay, DUMP TRUCKS, more of that information than the Planet 2000! Ok, I exaggerate a bit, but the difference was not subtle.

Friend of mine in Washington, Mike F., who just posted above, dumped his Jolida 100 for the Apollo. He's amazed and overjoyed at how much better the Apollo is than the Jolida. I put some of his comments on the Digital board over at Audio Assylum. If you read them, I think you'll get a sense of how much a significant improvement we're talking about.

Mike said he wouldn't mind having his email posted:

[email protected]

The Saturn seems to be about 9 months away, from what I can tell, possibly by winter this year (Nov/Dec '06). THAT'S A GUESS, NOT A COMPANY COMMENT. I had not heard of anyone doing listening tests on it. If so, then it's much further along than I knew.

Frankly, my mind is having difficulty imagining how the sound can get much better than with the Apollo. It seems to me we're really moving into a new level of two chanel audio quality (at least, for the little guy who can't part with $4K plus for cdp) with Rega's new laser assembly.

If Rega can do another step up in overall performance on the Saturn like it has with the Apollo, WATCH OUT! I have been joking (only slightly) that vinyl is in trouble. If they can keep the improvements coming, imho vinyl WILL truly be in trouble.
Thank you for your your thoughts and opinions. They have been helpful.
Peter - next time I am across the pond, I will stop in for a visit.
Regards, Bird
I just listed to the Apollo at my local dealer and BOY was it good. I listed to both the Planet and the apollo back-to-back. Although I have spent time with the Planet and would have purchase dit, the Apollo exudes a greater sense of realism, as though I were in the audience at a live concert. In comparison, the Planet sounded good, but a bit dull, which you might only detect if you conduct a sie-by-side comparison. To be sure of my initisal impressions, I will be auditioning the Apollo again next week. If my initial impressions are confirmed, I will buy it on the spot.