Wich high end CD palyer?

I want to buy a new CD palyer to replace my Meridian G 08, I already tested the Meridian 808,wich I found excellent.

I would like to receive suggestions about what else I should listen to.

The budget is up to 12.000 euros ($ 14 K), even if I could go higer in case it is worthwhile.

I live in Europe then we should stick to products available here.

Thank you
ccereda
ccereda:

I have two digital sources that I enjoy very much:
Burmester 001
CEC TL1X transport/Chord DAC64

I should really sell one or the other, but can't decide which! I was never truly happy with digital until I found these two.
Jim
to phaelon:
which sinatra are you referring to, frank jr. or nancy? you do know that frank sr. died, right????
off the subject, a great example of high markup is anti-cables. they sell for $10 per foot. all they are is magnet wire, which sells for about $3 per pound. a 10 foot pair of these cables will sell for $100, while the actual cost of parts is about 75 cents. somehow golden ears thinks differently. i'd like to see some concrete proof that i'm wrong about markups. really, i'd like to be proven wrong. please....
Stvncar-
Absolutely right; that was my point (I'll bet everyone else caught that). Many people make the jump from mid-fi to hi-fi seeking to experience the illusion of hearing a live performance available only through recordings. Your "off the subject" actually is the subject. There is a plethora of scoundrels who prey on those seeking musical bliss. Caveat emptor!
Ccereda- 14k and higher if it's worthwhile?
It's almost impossible to imagine a less than stellar performer at that price. I presume you're asking because you desire value, even with your budget. You didn't list your equipment and, particularly for you, system synergy will be everything. Unless I'm totally out of the loop, I don't think there is a daunting number of super elite players. I would contact every high end retailer around and let them shoot it out using your system.

PS. If you like my advise, can I have your G08?
Hi Ccereda,

It depends on your system. To my opinion the following CD players are excellent:

1. Wadia 861 or the new 581 (with SACD option)
2. Audio Aero if you like tube amp type of sound.
3. Mark Levinson 390S, old but still good.
4. Krell KPS28C, plays excellent in an all Krell system. If you do not have everything from Krell then it is a matter of testing.

Do not beleive other peoples opinions, no even mine. Only beleive your own ears. Everybody listens different and the only way to find out is to listen in your own system and take the one that you prefer.

But you can already make a preselection in the shop. Just skip the ones that you don't like at all and test 1-2 in your house.

Peter