The Absolute Sound vs Pleasing Sound

I have changed my mind about this over the years. The absolute sound (closest to real live music) just can't be accomplished even though I have heard some spectacular systems that get close on some music. So years ago I changed my system to give me the sound I wanted. I'm much happier now and all my music collection can be enjoyed for what it is: Recorded music.  
128x128russ69
@artemus_5

**** Good point. I used to wonder why so many liked Pioneer. I never heard one that I liked. ****

Please read my very first comment here. If that kind, or any other kind of sound rocks your, or anyone else’s boat that is fine with me. I find my approach far more satisfying and a much better way to reach an audio system’s true potential based on my sonic priorities.

@snilf

**** Music enjoyed in one’s living room (or music room) is, in many ways, actually superior aurally to almost any live performance. ****

I could not disagree more. Moreover, I would make a distinction between “aurally” and “musically”. Consider the fact that composers did not intend their music to be so hyper holographic; and they composed accordingly. They composed with the idea in mind that the type of exaggerated hyper detail that some audiophiles crave would not happen, should not happen, and that the blend of different instrumental (or vocal) textures would create, from a distance, the desired sound for the composition’s intent. Consider also, just how much effor an instrumentalist puts into perfecting just the right tone in order to serve his personal musical vision. It seems to me that this should be the purview of the artist, not the listener’s.

Does it cross anyone’s mind that it is this personal customization of the sound of music with its inevitable deviation from the nuance of timbre and textural detail heard at a good (!) live performance is the reason for the endless stream of threads asking “Am I an audiophile or music lover?”, “SQ or the music?”, etc. Not to mention, the endless equipment churning?

Of course recordings will always be an “artifact”. However, this fact is actually the best testament to just how much nuance and information exists in a live performance. To not strive to get as close as possible to that sound strikes me as convoluted and backwards. To honor the music is to honor its sound.

IMO, of course.
@frogman 

Please read my very first comment here. If that kind, or any other kind of sound rocks your, or anyone else’s boat that is fine with me. I find my approach far more satisfying and a much better way to reach an audio system’s true potential based on my sonic priorities.
Why should it rock my boat? I agree with your 1st post. Don't know why you didn't understand. My comment was to reinforce your idea. Everyone has different priorities.

**** Music enjoyed in one’s living room (or music room) is, in many ways, actually superior aurally to almost any live performance. ****

This is NOT my quote. 

Easy, artemus_5. No disrespect intended. No, your post did not strike me as agreement, but I am glad that you clarified.  Thanks. 

Re the other quote: simple oversight and corrected.

Regards.
Inmho, striving to achieve the 'same' sound at home like on some live concert (even 'unplugged') is missconception in start, for many reasons.
Stereo reproduction beeing the first and obvious one. (there is no stereo sound in the nature, or 'pin point' imaging)...mono guys could glove, but not for long...
I believe that at home you can reproduce the tone(s) with a great accuracy, but thats about as close or as much you will get to 'copying' the actual event.
Everything else is just us enjoying our own illusions

Just recently there was a nice article about the subject, posted on Audiogon as well.
Hope you dont mind me posting it again

https://medialux.blog/2019/10/27/true-to-the-source-some-thoughts/?fbclid=IwAR0ZqQND7gHbWovl7BvHe5uR...

Post removed