Schiit Freya+(Plus)

Freya+ users:

For me, sending DAC input through tube output clearly adds warmth, bloom, punch, musicality, presence.
However, when used with analog inputs (TT, FM, cassette), the tubes (current stock JJ 6SN7 supplied with the unit) sound too lush, rather over the top, sometimes frankly bloated. I mean at equal volume (not volume SETTING).

Despite balanced output to power amp, the SS buffer stage sounds inferior to pure passive mode. So it's tubes with
DAC, passive with analog, SS buffer with nothing.

Questions: (1) does my experience sound typical?
(2) should I experiment with rolling Tung-Sols or other recommended upgrade tube?
(3) does any of this bespeak some peculiarity elsewhere in the chain?

Advance thanks for diagnoses/suggestions.

hickamore
Just a quick question and correct me if I am wrong please as I am looking for pass through solution for a secondary system in my basement. Very few pre amps have a "pass through" function as I've noticed and money is an issue for the second system.

So when the Freya+ is switched to Passive mode that basically means its on board volume control is disabled and the volume is controlled from the source like a DAC or what ever else may be plugged into it?
Its basically like the unity Gain in my ARC-LS26?
If this is the case then there would be no issue's in using the freya as a pass through for a home theatre receiver to utilize the power amp for the 2 front L+R speakers?

No, the volume control on the Freya+ continues to work in the passive mode -- you just bypass the gain stages. Of course, the passive mode only offers unity gain. You will also lose the ability to convert single ended input into a differential output if you run it in passive.

Thanks for the reply. You answered my question.
Ill start a new thread on possible pre amps picks for my solution.
I recently purchased a B-stock Freya + preamp from Schiit as I wanted a balanced preamp to work in a second system. Right now, I have it connected in my primary system in place of my Audio Research LS7 tube line stage. The Freya + came with JJ 6SN7 tubes, but I already had a matched pair of OS GE gray plate side getter 6SN7’s and a matched pair of new production Tung Sol 6SN7’s. I installed the GE’s into the voltage gain stage (right side) and the Tung Sol’s into the buffer stage (left side). I used some really nice socket savers from Eurotubes in Portland, OR. These are quality constructed socket savers using octal tube bases with Micalex octal sockets. The socket savers allow me to remove the tubes easily from the Freya + sockets. 
I connected my SMSL SU-8 v. 2 DAC with Mogami 2549 balanced XLR cables to the Freya +, and then used another pair of the Mogami balanced cable from the Freya + to a Pass DIY Aleph J amp’s balanced inputs. The Aleph J drives my modified Klipsch Forte II’s. 
I started out listening with the JFET solid state buffer mode for the first two hours. I was really impressed with the black background, tonality and large, deep soundstage. Then I switched to tube differential mode and allowed the preamp to play for 20-30 minutes before any critical listening. There was no hum, no pops or crackles or any noise for that matter. What I heard was a an even larger soundstage with with a palpable presence. Now I understand others who have reported hearing the Freya + cast a holographic sound stage. The separation was outstanding and I was impressed by the rich, “almost creamy” tone. It definitely sounds different from my ARC LS7 line stage. They are both great line stage preamps, and it’s too early to draw clear comparisons. What I can say is that I really like the balanced connections from my DAC to preamp to power amp. The background is black and allows me to hear subtle details and nuanced tonality. The preamp does get rather warm in tube mode, but not scorching hot. In completely passive mode or JFET buffer mode, the amp does not get warm at all. For background music listening, the passive or JFET buffer modes are great sounding and will not wear out the tubes. For active listening, I do prefer with the tube mode. 
My experience really mirrors what most reviewers have positively written about the Freya +. I am not sure why some people have had problems with tubes or noise. The Freya + came as advertised offering tremendous value for a $900 preamp. 

Hello, I know this thread is getting old. But would like to know if any of you have the latest recommendation for the best tubes with the Freya?

What tubes would be best for the pair on the LEFT side and which pair of tubes would be best on the RIGHT side of the Freya?

Please post links to eBay or websites to buy tubes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any advice!