Do different streamers really sound different when using an external DAC

Maybe this has been posted before but it seems that often when a post is made where someone has gotten better sound it’s because it was the streamer with included DAC that was changed, not just the streamer. No doubt a better internal DAC,  better file resolution, a better music service, will make a difference.

But I just want to see comparison of streamer to streamer with the same DAC implementation. I am currently using a Bluesound Node2i outputting via Coax into a high quality tube DAC
So here’s the million dollar question.

What have been your experiences in upgrading streamers, keeping everything else the same ie, DAC, cables, output type (Coax)? No doubt better control apps and having a display will elevate your experience but how about just sound quality. Anyone?

Thanks

128x128alvinnir2
Yes. With their DAC. But I read that if you use the SPDIF digital coax out, only 24/96. Bluesound’s website does not clarify.

If I am wrong then I’d sure like to know!
vinylshadow, there’s a lot of confusion about this, but I would trust our members to confirm Node digital to Dac is capable of 24/192:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/node-2i-coax-out

And this:
"If not playing MQA content, your external DAC should receive the original bitrate (i.e. if playing 24/192 from Qobuz (non-MQA), your external DAC will get 24/192)."

I second feldmen4’s comments.  I had the same experience, except with a PS Audio DirectStream DAC.  First using Node 2, then using the Bridge II card, each with the same DAC.  PS Audio’s Bridge II is far better as a streamer than the Node 2.  More body, fuller sound, added depth.  But I have to assume that has a lot to do with the Bridge II being custom-built for (and only for) the DirectStream.  Turning to OP’s question, which suggests he’s not changing his new DAC to a DirectStream any time soon: I’ve been swimming in audio for years and, while I can’t prove it or direct you to any authoritative treatises on this, I think a dedicated streamer like an Auralic will sound better than the streamer that is 1/2 of the $500 Node 2.  But I’m not sure I’d expect a big jump from an entry level streamer; that Node is pretty impressive for the money.  
When I switched from the Bluesound Vault2i and Node2i streamers to the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra Neo streamer, there was a definite, noticeable, without a doubt difference.  My DAC stayed exactly the same, no charge.  The SMS-200 was much more confusing and harder to configure and I missed the Bluesound app that I had been used to, but it sounded better with more detail and resolution that was very noticeable.
I’ve been pondering this question for weeks, and the bluesound node 2i’s manual does not clarify. I’m told that the node only does the full unfold via a usb connection. The only problem though, is the node only has a usb input. So this has left me to believe the only way to get the full unfold is by using its dac via rca cables. The node has a pretty good sounding dac, however being that I can’t leave well enough alone, I’ve purchased the mytek liberty which should do the full unfold via toslink or spdif. And yes I’ve replaced the nodes power cord and I have a hardwired Ethernet connection using a fiber optic “ bridge”. I was supposed to receive the mytek today, but with the weather it won’t be till Monday. I’ll report back my findings at that time.
To the OP:

Yes - the streamer function makes a significant difference. I started with a Node 2 going into an outboard DAC. I personally experienced a greater improvement by going to a better streamer than I did going to a better DAC.  Others feel otherwise so YMMV.

I have multiple data points to support my own experience including auditioning multiple units in my system.  One particularly notable experience:  Before I settled into my current setup, I auditioned a Simaudio 390 D - a unit that includes preamp, DAC and their MiND streamer function. I placed the unit in system to drive my amp and connected the unit via Ethernet (not WiFi).  It sounded quite nice  - it’s a good unit overall. 

Then I placed my current streamer back into the system (connected via Ethernet again) and used it to feed the 390 D via USB.  No other changes.  It was not even close.  While I liked the preamp, DAC and control app for the 390 D, I passed.  I was looking to upgrade my DAC and was thinking I could sell my streamer and have a better and simplified system.  

I kept my streamer because it turned out to be the most significant component in my chain. 

Some would say this was an unfair comparison as my streamer is 75% of the cost of the 390 which has a preamp and DAC too.  Yes, it was unfair.  But, I was also thinking at the time - how could it make that much difference?  My bias going in was the DAC is the key. 

Audition a better unit in your system.  I suggest specifically listening for spatial information. Perhaps you’ll find an improvement. Perhaps not.  There’s really only one way to find out.

Best,