I expected more from my speakers (not high end)

20+ years ago, I bought a system for music but probably more for blasting home theater. It sounded great for Saving Private Ryan. Well, Ive grown up and would like to get back to listening to music, preferably with reasonable sound quality. I dismissed the old Denon receiver, picked up an NAD c368 with an old bluray player for cds (I since bought a better player). My speakers which I always thought would be adequate are Paradigm Monitor 7 v1 and a 15' Velodyne sub. Im not impressed. Everything sounds kindof compressed although I think the sub blends in nicely. I know its all subjective but would a modest upgrade in speakers (say less that 2K) have the potential for significant improvement? I guess I could try to sell the Paradigms (although I am a little emotionally attached) - I have original packaging after all these years. The only part of the system that Im confident is adequate (other than the new amp) are the massive Tara Labs biwires. Ok starting to ramble. Id appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
johngaltwho
Back in the 70's when I was selling stereos the rule of thumb was that 80% of what your stereo would sound like is the speakers, I believe that is still true. If I were me, and I am... I would start visiting audio stores to see what sounds good to you. I have had very nice 2 channel speakers in a HT system and the movies did not suffer, on the other hand I have heard very few HT speakers sound good on a dedicated stereo.
Which receiver are you using ? It’s hard to believe how expensive some brands are now . I cannot afford a New receiver but they can greatly improve your current speakers probably. Are you going 5.1- or 7.1?
I prefer horn speakers like Klipch  for movies , but emotiva has nice stuff too .. 
It all depends what type of tweeters you like, there’s no audio store anywhere near me so I cannot audition anything .... 
chane audio arx line too