Done selling on eBay, they are demanding my social security number to sell

They are forcing everyone into what they call "Managed payments" that requires  you to give them bank account information and your social security number. Looks like I'll be selling here from now on. I know I gave it to PayPal years ago so they have it, but I'm done giving it out. I called and the rep told me they are legally required to have it in order for me to sell. That is a load of crap.
herman
What? They want my social security number to verify my identity?? Really I have been with them since 2001..... I think with my 100% feedback and my years with them without any issue I have more than prove to them my identity.  Wait.... does that mean that if I sell something at a loss I would get a tax credit for my loss? This is a joke and it’s a bummer that they are asking for my social security number because I won’t. 
So, I purchase the item, I paid tax on it. After I sell on eBay for much less than I originally paid for. For 1/4 of the original price. Then, I pay tax on it again and the buyer also pays tax on it again! Not a good shopping experience!!!! Also, I want my privacy. Our SS numbers and birthdays and emails, and addresses, and everything is on 'open season" just "help yourself" and it is available for every country in the world, especially for the whole US and CHINA. And worst of all: Is there anybody to protect us?????
DO NOT STEAL FROM THE GOVERNMENT!!!! THEY HATE COMPETITION!!!!!!!!! The IRS is just as private as seven eleven !!!!
I am done selling too.

People, stick together. Refuse to let businesses own your most crucial information. Years ago when they raised fees people stepped away and ebay budged. 

I will sell on CL, and for every item there is a forum on the internet with a classified section. They are free. I am forced to save some money and I am gonna take it.