Monitor help.. I know I iknow... lots of threads

I just moved from a house to a small condo.. I sold my vandy iice's because they were too big for my main living area. Now I want some monitors for my new room which is about 12x20 with a slanted vault connected to the kitchen and dining room.. a mess.
Anywho.. not much of a budget Im looking at $500 or so right now for just the monitors and a sub later on.. Pass labs Aleph 3 and an Onix xcd88 run thru an old Eico tube pre amp...
So, what I want are airy light highs with lots of definition.. shimmering cymbals.. but not fatiguing at..it seems to me every monitor review I read does mids just fine so Im not worried about that. Bass is not gonna happen in my budget. Am I gonna find something in my range if I give up bass?
jprinz
Have you thought about picking up a pair of Vandy 1Cs? They just sound so good for their price point and are about one third the size of the IICE. You may not even want to add a sub.

I have not heard them, but Vandy also has a bookshelf speaker called the VLR wood. Unfortunately you may not find a used pair and new they are the same price as the 1C.

Good luck.
Well I was going to recommend the pair of Triangle Comete ES speakers which were listed today but when I went to get a link I see they are sold already. They must've been a good buy.
Check out the Monitor Audio Bronze BX2...they just got Whathifi Product of the Year. I'm gonna grab some myself.

Mot
I loved my Vandersteens.. they were very musical and easy to listen to. But did not have the airy high frequencies I am searching for.. but they were NOT the signatures.. I was tempted to write mr. vandersteen about his rear wall mounts and see what he thought.. But, IMHO they are ugly as well..and these are going in my main living area.. the IICE's were hidden in a back room so no big deal..

These are some great suggestions.. I was wondering if ribbon tweeters have improved.. it seems they have the characteristics Im looking for but breakup when the music gets complex.. is that still the case?

Placement is gonna be a pain in my little place..

Im going to reread all this and let it soak in.. thanks everyone thus far.. VERY helpful.. and I dont feel as bad about my tiny budget as I did.. thought I was gonna be told it wasnt possible..