Trans-Fi Terminator Tonearm: 2019 Update

In reading a few related posts on linear tracking tonearm, in general,  and Trans-Fi Terminator , in particular, I thought I would give a brief update of the Terminator.

I purchased the arm directly from Andrey in Moscow two months ago. From what I understand, Andrey has taken over production after Vic's retirement. What I received is the most up-to-date version of the arm with the carbon fibre wand and brass counterweights, the direct wire leads from cartridge to  phono amp, and a new brass manifold ( not evident from the main web-site). Both the wand and the new manifold are Andrey's contribution to the continued refinement of the Terminator.

Also,  please visit this site: https://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/2017/04/15/terminator-tonearm-new-arm-mount/. This gentlemen from NZ has developed a new arm mount for the Terminator which advanced the arm's sonics even further. It was reading through the the development of this new arm mount that convinced me to order the Terminator after much prior research. I did not purchase the arm mount from NZ as it would not readily fit my Verdier La Platine, instead Andrey made a custom arm mount. It is in essence a two point support mount rather than a single point support rod that is commonly used. 

My previous arm was a SME V of 1990's vintage mounted with a ZYX airy. The Terminator is several notch above the SME V. All the accolades given to the Terminator seem justified. My main point in writing is that the new developments by Andrey, i.e. the carbon fibre wand and the newest brass manifold, seem to improve upon the Terminator even more ( see link above ). This is the news that I wanted to share with existing Terminator owners. I asked Andrey to start a blog on all the new stuff that is happening with the arm, but it seems that he is busy making 'things'!

ledoux1238
I Iearn not to be too fussy. Middle of the lp does for me. On average, I need to adjust 2x per week, occasionally 3x.
Just something I've got used to. But fully concur for some/many this would be a deal breaker.

I'm optimistic that the super-fine Zavfino tonearm wire I'm soon getting installed will minimise wire drag to such an extent that this issue gets minimised or even eliminated.
Please post results once Zavfino wires are in place. I would be extremely curious!

I am also having a silver tonearm wire custom made. The wire I ordered is from Aural Harmony. Twisted configuration is how it will be implemented  and paired with a battery charged current mode phono preamp. However, the new wires, once completed, may still cause problems. :(

The effect of wire drag on VTF is quite a revelation for me. On the one hand, the arm is tracking with  constantly varying VTFs'. On the face of it this should be a disaster. The effect of the stylus on the record must not be good. On the other hand, the listening experience is anything but unpleasant. I guess I am saying I do no hear variable VTF at play, or I do not know how to. This is not to excuse the design flaw. However, a simple solution to mitigate the drag effect has to exist......
Yes...super fine tonearm wire.
I'm soon to install Zavfino Litz-76.
Really hoping this mitigates drag/varying VTF issues.
The wires are threaded through one of the holes in the arm wand. They will invariably touch and assert a force on the wand. As the arm travels across the platter, the force on the wand varies, thus creating a constantly varying VTF. The differential on VTF, according to my measurements is 0.05 g - 0.08 g, between the edge and center of platter. 

The solution is to isolate the wires from the wand. Given the nature of the arm, this would be very difficult to achieve. Alternatively, one could use a very light collar to affix the wire to the wand. This should allow for a force of contact that is constant between the wire and the wand. Presumably, this should care of the variable VTF problem. This will of course increase the mass of the arm, but at least its a constant mass.
The wires are threaded through one of the holes in the arm wand. They will invariably touch and assert a force on the wand. As the arm travels across the platter, the force on the wand varies, thus creating a constantly varying VTF. The differential on VTF, according to my measurements is 0.05 g - 0.08 g, between the edge and center of platter.
With a caveat that I have never seen this arm in the flesh -

I would have thought the solution surely is to pin the wire to the apex of the air bearing carrier ( L section aluminium on top ). This would mean the loading from the wire on tracking force would be consistant across the record.

If you then run a loop from the apex of the carrier to the overhanging bracket, then the impact of the wire would then be on the lateral loading force on the cartridge/armtube/carrier and would be as a %age of the effective mass much lower ( arm has higher effective mass in the lateral plain ) and less impactful on the set up.

By the way I note in the setup referred to earlier in this thread it looks like the gentleman has the wire connected to the overhanging bracket at the beginning of the record - obviously making sure the bracket as located in the CENTE of travel would minimise the overall effect. If you listen to classical you could experiment with biasing the position closer to the end of the record so that the difficult inner grooves are less affected.

I prefer the captive air bearing/decoupled counterweight approach of the Eminent Technology ET2 which I have had for over 30 years.

In my experience most aftermarket tonearm wires are too stiff for air bearing arms. I found the least impact on lateral forces to be vintage silk copper litz (plastic and teflon sleeves too stiff ) and of whats avaialble today the Audionote silver litz and Kondo Fairy wire being the most flexible and least impactful on tracking forces.