Hard Drive based system

I've read all of the threads I could find on a "server" type system. I plan on running a hard drive, to a Waveterminal, to a DAC. My question is, can a system like this sound as good, or better than, my cd player? Is it all up to the DAC?

I currently have a Marantz 8260 CD/SACD player.
ecruz
Audioengr can probably tell you whether it is okay to go with Transit (optical out only) as a starter unit or that you have to use one of his mods to obtain acceptable quality.

Have you decided on the DAC? If you end up with a DAC with USB input (e.g. mini DAC, Grace 902), you may not need the converter at all. However, you do have more options with a converter.
Haven't decided on a DAC yet, but I was wondering if any had USB inputs.

Any recommendations (with or without USB in) for under $1000?
I mentioned two USB DACs in the previous post. Some people like the Apogee mini DAC better than the popular Benchmark DAC1 which I use and surely recommend.

I noticed that you mentioned Sony player in another thread. If you get it modded by TRL, it will be hard to find an affordable DAC to beat it, hard drive system or not.
I've been going back and forth about the TRL mod. I've read all of the glowing reviews, but haven't actually heard one. I guess I could have it modded and if I don't like it I could sell it.

But I need to decide which way I'm going to go first. Either the TRL modded Sony or the hard drive system. That's the reason I'm gathering the info on the hard drive stuff.

It sure would be nice to have 300-400 cd's at my fingertips. But if the TRL mod sounds that good, for that price, it's hard to pass up.
Interesting dilemma.

TRL's Sony mod is quite amazing for the price. My experience is with TRL/Sony 595. I assume your model will sound even better. On sonics alone, it will provide much bigger bang for the buck than a music server system for you, since you don't yet have a DAC.

I would recommend getting the TRL mod anyway and slowly building up a music server which is a lot of fun. When you find your favorite DAC, the music server will really sing for you.