*WHITE PAPER* The Sound of Music - How & Why the Speaker Cable Matters

G'DAY

I’ve spent a sizeable amount of the last year putting together this white paper: The Sound of Music and Error in Your Speaker Cables

Yes, I’ve done it for all the naysayers but mainly for all the cable advocates that know how you connect your separates determines the level of accuracy you can part from your system.

I’ve often theorized what is happening but now, here is some proof of what we are indeed hearing in speaker cables caused by the mismatch between the characteristic impedance of the speaker cable and the loudspeaker impedance.

I’ve included the circuit so you can build and test this out for yourselves.

Let the fun begin

Max Townshend 

Townshend Audio

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtownshend-audio
No, not with a load. Inductance usually dominates over capacitance.

The closer the wires in a cable are to each other, the more rounded will be the Square Wave coming out of the other end.

Only way to get a matching Square Wave Out, is to space the wires some distance from each other.

Yes let’s look at that, where the author uses 100 meters of cable to show 10000nsec reflections that no one denies exists, but those reflections settle out. The only one that uses 100 meter cables is studios and you may want to look into what they do about source / load impedance matching.

Then the author, who does no math makes the giant and technically ignorant leap that if this is an issue at 100 meters then surely it can be an audible issue at 1 meter. That was either ignorance or intentional misleading. Math would show this ignorance. Why use 1, let’s use 5 meters about the longest most people use. The issue is not now 1/20th as small, it is 20 times exponentially smaller.

At 100 meters and 100khz bandwidth 5x audio, there are 10 round trip reflections. At 40 kHz, 25. At 5 meters, 200 and 500.

A 100khz signal at 100 meters may only settle within 60db, a 40khz signal will be 150db down. But let’s talk real world at 5 meters, where at 100khz the settling error is 1200db below the signal and at 40khz the transmission line settling error will be 3000db below the signal.

I don’t know about you, but I can’t detect -1200db errors, can you?

I suggest quoting real engineering papers not effectively blogs from those who are not thorough in their analysis.  There is a reason way more educated and experienced people on transmission lines say it does not matter at audio frequencies and cable lengths.
The quoted author then says a 10Khz square wave is audio frequencies. That should be your first clue. The fundamental of the 10khz is audible , i.e. 10khz. All the harmonics are inaudible. A 10khz square wave does not represent real audio. It is shown sometimes to illustrate amplifier stability / damping but that's a different problem.

I would withdraw the white paper. It's based on a poorly written and technically weak paper to draw conclusions that are simply not remotely correct while including erroneous and irrelevant simulations, and other noted errors. Withdrawing it would be the most honorable thing to do.
We have measured a phenomenon and have postulated an explanation that has been peer-reviewed by two highly experienced electronic engineers who agree that the conclusions are correct.
You obviously disagree, so could you please explain why there is a difference in the error voltage, shown in fig 3, that correlates directly with the characteristic impedance of the cables?