Distortion using Node 2i as streamer with Denafrips Pontus Dac

Hi all, has anyone had trouble with distortion when coupling a Node 2i streamer with a Denafrips Pontus Dac? 
I have tried using an optical, coax and usb connection from my iMac and after about a half hour to an hour I get distortion from both left and right speakers. 
On Alvin Chee’s recommendation I turned off the “Audio Clock Trim in the audio setting of the Node 2i but I still get the same distortion. 
I did have success being able to stream cd music from an Oppo CD player using an optical cable. 
Has anyone experienced similar problems? Any luck getting it resolved? I’ve only had the Pontus for a few weeks. Any suggestions would be helpful. 
I am thinking about trying another Node 2i to hear if I have the same problems. 
Bill
wgs57
I am thinking about upgrading the streamer but I spent my budget on the Dac which was around $2,000 CAD. I do want to keep the Node 2i for the time being until I can afford something better. A few users have same some good recommendations but I may just go with the Roon Nucleus next year. 
King Barbuda, yes I did know there was no usb output on the Node 2i...I wish it had one though. Do some streamers have that feature? I am still very much new at this but I had assumed usb out was for computers, maybe tablets? 
I'd recommend looking at Sonore's offerings. I have the Node 2 (gen 2) and when I switched to Sonore's entry-level microRendu the increase in fidelity was an obvious improvement. Their newly-released microRendu sells for a mere $400. Moving up in their line is supposed to be "better". I have no experience otherwise but it's a path you may want to explore. 
Do you use the volume control on the BluOs app?

There are settings for audio fixed and variable plus EQ.
I had an issue for over a year with the Pontus and Node 2i combo.  No issues with distortion, but I had frequent dropouts and skipping issues that I voiced here:
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/denafrips-dac-owner-impressions-feedback-general-discussion-q...

I enjoyed the sound of the Pontus as well as the simple interface controls for the Node so I put up with it. Alvin even sent me a new DSP board which sounded better but still had the issues of dropout.  But then a month ago I got a used Auralic Aries because I wanted to try a dedicated streamer without a DAC to use with the Pontus. This combo blew away the Node.  Effortless pinpoint imaging and deep and wide soundstage. The Auralic is great because it can output using usb, spdif and AES/EBU.  I tried each with a Curious usb, Snake River spdif and Audioquest AES cable, each bested the Node easily.  The simple Blusound app is still my favorite compared to Auralic's DS Lightning software which is a little clunky. But using Roon to stream gives it a lot fuller and smoother sound with the pinpoint imaging, alot of micro detail.  I prefer Blusound's interface over DS Lightning and Roon. I use a Macbook Air for the Roon core. Of course it might be sound in your system.

I didn't think there would be that much of a difference but there was. I'm curious how good it would sound now with the Aries G1 or G2 or a Lumin streamer. But it doesn't make sense that these streamers cost more than the Pontus, maybe if I ever upgrade to the Terminator DAC.  The Pontus is still a great sounding DAC.  Best of luck