Any high quality music servers out there?

Came across McIntosh's new music server (MS300 / 300GB) and was wondering if others are using music servers. Please tell me what brands you're using. And, how's the quality of the sound?
sammie
Henry -- Yep, I agree. best to wait as companies are rolling them out fast. Here's Sony's offering:

http://products.sel.sony.com/xl1/index.html?DCMP=showcase_vaio&HQS=xl1_sonystyle
I had an interesting conversation with Mark Levinson today. We chatted about his Burwen Bobcat USB DAC and why it's a Windows only device - pretty obvious. Now, I'm a converted Windows to OSX fan but I'll point out the downside to iTunes.

Apple is fast becoming the more "evil" than the dreaded "evil Bill Gates". The word proprietary or closed comes to mind - at least Windows is open. This presents a pain for us who simply want a good system for playing back music. The Windows side of things gives you ALOT of flexibility.

What to do? Well, after talking with Mark since the Burwen Bobcat is one really nice piece of code, I started looking back to dbPowerAmp. This cool program converted my FLAC to WMA lossless and then iTunes imported so I thought could it go backwards from Apple Lossless to Windows Media Lossless? I don't know yet since I don't have a PC at home anymore so if anyone can confirm, would be great to know...

This is also why I'm down on FLAC. WMA lossless and Apple Lossless are just about par with FLAC but with the main advantage of application support. That's really what drove me nuts about FLAC and Winamp - they both were such a pain in the ass to configure and customize.

The MOST important thing isn't how good the server is or even the software mentioned but ending up with a music file with CORRECT tags! Once you start to amass thousands of high-quality files, you'll be sorry that you didn't pay enough attention to file management. The tag is EVERYTHING! Wait until your system crashes and you have to re-scan your entire collection - if that tag isn't what you want, you'll be editing files for months... I know, I did it!

If you're into Linux, FLAC is for you but if you just want a Windows based server, go with WMA lossless since it can convert to other formats where FLAC won't. iTunes for Windows would be a second choice.

Again, if anybody can confirm converting Apple Lossless to Windows Media Lossless, would be great to know your results and opinion...
Keeping it simple here.
MAC Mini with two LaCie 250GB, Wavelength Brick, iTunes with WAV files (7000+ tunes so far, room to spare, but will need third FW disc soon).
This set up replaced full dCS stack with CEC 1X transport.
This was on the recommendation from a fellow "file" who had replace his dCS firewire....I was skeptical but now am a true believer.
Computer audio is the WAV of the future.
Apple Lossless to Windows Media Lossless

Mthomas - I'm not into iTunes AT ALL but from what I understand there is no direct conversion method. However, there is a program called JHymn that looks like it will get you from Apple Lossless to *.wav and then your dbPowerAmp should be able to do the rest. *pre-iTunes 6.0 only*

http://www.hymn-project.org/jhymndoc/
Is there a good online source (Canada/US) for the Waveterminal U24? I am looking to getting started on a hard drive based system using an Apple powerbook.

Thanks,

Rene