Mahavishnu fans only

Do you prefer the raw raw power of Inner Mounting Flame or the refined raw power of BIRDS?
chowkwan
Original Japanese LPs of both The Inner Mounting Flame and Birds Of Fire sound better than anything else. I tried them all. For Visions Of The Emerald Beyond look for original US White Label Promo, it sounds better than original Japanese. Don't buy UK and other pressings. 
John McLaughlin is a unique and legendary performer, but I don't like his later work.
Meetings of the Spirit and Dance of Maya are absolute classics.
@mysterioso1

The live From Nothingness To Eternity has become my go LP, though I love them all.

Agreed. That album is fantastic, both the recording and performance. Ya have to turn that album up....loud. It just sucks you in.

tupuhumuhumunukunukuapuaa
: if that's your real name.

You are wise to wait till your wife is out of earshot. Mahavishnu is a guy thing. Something about their music repels the womenfolk. Your mileage may vary.

Welcome aboard the Mahavishnu Express.
Flame and Birds are both masterworks but I heard Birds first....so that one resonates more for me.
However, side 1 of Visions of the Emerald Beyond is what I listen to the most.....the virtuosity of the band, coupled with McLaughlin's supernova musical personality, does it for me every time.
If I'd only heard him play I'd never guess, given a photo line-up of guitarists, that he was the one responsible for the notes blazing & tinkling & thundering out of the speakers! 
But the subtle dreamy Earth Ship composition on side B of the Visions album is great too. I usually listen to the entire record, and do it quite often.
John created fusion electric guitar.
Also, listen to his acoustic guitar duos with Paco de Lucia and Jonas Hellborg and trio with Paco and Al di Meola. Concert in Freiburg, Germany, was I think the best live performance for the trio.
And I like most of his Que Alegria acoustic album.