First Impression: Vivid Audio B1 Speakers

I'll start by stating that these speakers only have about 50 hours on them, so they're not even close to being broken in but, wow, what a speaker.

If you want to detail and transparency these speaks have them in spades. Depth, soundstage... superb. Put on a good recording and you'll be bowled over.

Sure, the low-end doesn't plunge the depths put they have GREAT bass punch. They definitely like some power but my Cary 211AEs work well.

You'll hear everything with these speakers so good front-end gear is a must.

Speaker placement is a bit tricky and I still don't feel I"m there yet but experimentation is part of the fun.

I'll post more in the coming weeks.
marty97x
My dealer brought a pair of B1 to my home. We used my Nagra PL-L pre together with a pair of Nagra PMA. The detail, the sound stage were amazing. I would buy them if it wasn't for two problems for which I still didn't find a solution:

1. The bass was completely out of control. Someone said it may be due to lack of power from the amps. My dealer says that's not the case. At 200W each, are supposed to be at ease with it. I'd believe it's my living room.

2. The dynamics is exaggerated. Listening to a string quartet I would always feel like wanting to raise the volume when a single violin is playing softly and immediately felt like lowering it when the four instruments go into a crescendo.

The B1 sounded like an untamed beast.

Maybe these 2 problems can be solved with room correction. I have a fairly vivid 30m2 living room with a bookshelf, a large rug, but some clean walls. And if that is the case I'd buy them. But... I won't risk.

I'm currently listening to a set of Avalon Ascent which they brought just for me to try an alternative. Even though the bass is far from controlled, it's still much more "normal". And the dynamics problem is not there. But they lack the detail, de soundstange, de realism of the Vivid Audio. I don't like them. I think once you listen to Vivid Audio speakers... you get hooked to how much detail and presence they achieve without becoming tiring or aggressive.

So, my dealer will now bring back the V1.5 which already sounded amazing at my home except for the lack of bass which we now intend to try to solve adding a subwoofer. But I fear that the V1.5 may be too small for my 30m2 room and that maybe I should be getting a full range speaker instead of a pair of monitors which I then have to complement with a subwoofer.

It would be nice to get some opinions on this.

Thanks in advance,
Nuno
So you have had two well regarded speakers in your room with bass issues. I do think you have your room to deal with.

Shakey
Contrary to what makers of side firing woofered speakers contend, I have found them to be trickier with room loading and just plain difficult to impossible to get to work to full potential in many rooms.

Somehow I feel I have not heard the Vivids to their fullest, where the have dynamics, richness when called for, and real life. Yet when I hear them I feel they have real potential.
I have the Vivid B1's which are powered by diy Hypex Ncore 300 watt monoblocks. I actually had to contact the dealer for room placement help and that made a night and day difference. Mine are about 2.5 feet from the back wall and completely open on the sides. They are toed in slightly about halfway compared to a direct toe in to my sweet spot. The sound is the best I have ever had in my room and I also have been in this hobby for a long time. I first heard class D Hypex Mola Mola monoblocks last year at CES in the Mirage powering the Vivid Giya's. It was some of the best sound I have heard and I knew I would soon build the diy Ncore version monoblocks. Very highly recommended with the Vivid's!

Jim