$1000 bookshelf speakers with "recessed", "laid back" or "flat" mid-range?

Dear all,
As stated above, I am looking for a bookshelf speaker with a mid-range that is laid back, recessed or flat. I currently own a pair of Elac Uni-Fi UB5, and I find their presentation quite forward in the mid-range, which I don't appreciate, especially at moderate to high volumes. I also own a pair or Pioneer SP-BS22, which I find more pleasing sounding (particularly the more recessed mid-range) than the Elac.
Since I can't audition speakers where I live, I am asking for your recommendations on bookshelf speakers that have a more "recessed" or "flatter" presentation in the mid-range. I have a budget of $1000. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
128x128luciano33
Thank you guys so much for the suggestions! I wanted to add that I will be pairing bookshelves speakers with a sub (RSL Speedwoofer 10S). I listen to a lot of different types of music, from delta blues to heavy metal.

I am making a list, and so far I have from you:
Definitive Technology D11
Revel Concerta M16
Spendor SP/2, S 3/5
Polk Lsi M703
Vandersteen 1C
NTH Classic 3
Vienna Acoustics Haydn Grand
Canton Vento 836.2
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2

What about these?:
Dynaudio Excite 14
SVS Ultra
Martin Logan Motion 35XTi

Cheaper options:
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1
PSB Alpha 5 (cheap, but with great reviews)
Klipsch RP-600M (I have not read a review about them being forward in the midrange)
Focal Chorus 706
KEF Q150
Quad S-2
I suspect that you will be able to achieve your goal by simply changing the angle of rake that your speakers are currently at. All you have to do is raise the front of the speaker some and the sound will mellow out. Good luck
Thanks for the suggestion, but I rather have something with a different sound. I think what you propose will only work if I am sitting only at the sweet spot. The thing is, these are in my living room, so I listen to music in different situations, and I am not always sitting down at the sweet spot. Funny thing is, I can hear the forward sounding nature of the speaker in many different listening positions. I also experimented with speaker position, different gear, room treatment, etc. Nothing made a significant change to the forward presentation of the Elac UB5. I know I can hook up an equalizer and tame the midrange, but that's not the route I'd like to go.