Digital Connundrum - Levinson? Audio Aero?

I have a Levinson 390S as my main source, and have been happy with it the past 3-4 yrs, but as usual, im gettig itchy to try something new. What I really should do is save up for a definitive solution (Reimyo, Meitner or DCS separates), but Im afraid that's just too big a leap at the moment.

So - what do you think? Audio Aero Capitale MK II? Muscial Fidelty Tri/Nu vista? Ayre, Audiomeca, Electrocompaniet, others?

I'd be very very interested in opinions from current/former Levinson 390S users, but all are valuable - thanks Art
artg
The 390S is a fine player - the alternatives you state are merely sideways moves in my opinion. Unless you really just need a change of pace, stick with the ML.
I know everyone likes to justify what they own,but as a 390-s owner,as well as a friend,who has the unit,I can't see upgrading this,unless you went to something like the DCS gear,which is in a class of it's own.

The 390-s has held it's price for a long time,and could sell for a good bit more,if Madrigal had wanted to go that route.The build quality is incredible,and the ALL metal custom built transport is a fabulous design.With a good PC,and interconnects,as well as good equipment,the sound is totally realistic,and very revealing of inner detail,with CORRECT TIMBRE.That one is hard to do(the true timbre thing).As it is ,it's a superior product,ALL AROUND.Forty five pounds of quality design.Take a look at some of the pricey lightweights.You must know this already.To me the Audio Aero is a fine product,but not really worthy of the upgrade from the 390-s.I don't think it is as well built,either.The Reiymo could be the way to go,in a one box unit.In a DAC,the Nagra is supposed to be a KILLER.Though,I like one box units.

I have brought my own reference material over to dealers to see how some of the newer stuff(pricey,too)performs.I immediately return to my system,and play the exact music on it.IMO,the only products worthy of the term upgrade,not sidegrade,from the 390-s are definitely the DCS,probably the Reiymo,and possibly(I'm still not sold on this)the Meitner in regular CD.There are a couple of other interesting units around,but in all truthfulness,you may be going a bit overboard.The Levinson is that good!!Take your wife on a nice vacation,and buy some new music,I say.Good luck.
Art, if you want to email me offline, I'd be glad to share some of my digital auditioning experiences of the past three months.
very interesting. I suspect that CDP is not the weak link. in fact, there are no serious weak links in my system {why do we always feel the need to mess with success?}, no, just areas that can be improved in one way or another. I have heard from two others (both former 390S owners) that they regretted selling theirs (one got and quickly sold a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista SACD player befor emoving on to Meitner, the other bought and resold Wadia separates).

Of course this is all anecdotal, and everyting is so system dependent, so who can say for sure.

What I'd really like to hear is anyone who had each the AA Capitole and the 390S in their homes! For now, i may sit put, maybe save up for the Reimyo (I also really prefer single-box players to separates).