Why not Minidiscs in the US?

Minidiscs seem to be very popular all around the world but have not taken a strong foothold in the US. However, since I own several minidisc decks,(and I think they are great) I keep an eye out for used equipment here and there, which seems to sell rather quickly!
I don't see much said about minidiscs in these forums and rarely see any equipment for sale in the classifieds.
Any comments?
sulloj
I think mp3 players are the problem for the md camp , and cdr as well ,i have 2 minidisc decks MDSJA-30es & MDS -470 with long play , i think the fact that it is a data reduced format is what makes people think it will sound bad , but mp3 is so popular that it must be ok , its all in the mind , i must admit if they reduced md blanks to the same price as computer cdrs i think md would be more popular, its a price per disc issue as well.
I've been using mini discs since 1998 and have appreciated their forgiving nature during recording. I still use the JA20-es and a portable (which helps me ignore the sleep apnea machine I sleep with and sometimes my wife's noise....oops, I mean sounds) They were promising as the previous posters pointed out and I believe while not quite as dynamic as a cd their ease of use is still cool. I copy from cd to mini disc and have built a library that many friends have enjoyed.
I was a huge MiniDisc proponent when I worked for Sony, and few were sadder than I to see the format tank.
I adore my MDSJA30ES but occassionally ponder listing it for sale here. The only thing that stays my hand is that I'm not sure I could get better than a marginal price for it.