Esoteric DV-50: Any cdp's Significantly better?

Is there are anyone out there who has compared the Esoteric DV-50 to a number of dedicated red book only players (or other universal's) and found one that is SIGNIFICANTLY better?

I stress significantly because in my humble opinion the redbook playback (if comparison unit is just a cd cd player only )must be significantly better to justify losing DVD-A, SACD and DVD-Video capability.

I keep hearing there are better one box solutions and being a die hard 2 channel fan I would sell my DV-50 if I found a player in the same price range that sounds significantly better. But every time I do an AB comparision to other well respected units the DV-50 has slayed each and every one.

So far, it has eaten the lunch of the Classe CDP-10, Ayre CX-7, Linn Ikemi, Cairn Fog Vers. 2, Cary 306/300, Arcam DV 27A and CD 33T, Myryad CD 600, etc. It even betters a Sony SCD 777ES/MF Tri-Vista 21 transport/dac combo that I previously owned. I'm only comparing the DV-50 to single box cd or universal players, but I just wanted to mention the Sony/MF combo. I'm sure there are some dac/transport combo's that will handily beat the DV 50.

Some may say that the DV 50 should beat all the above because the of price point ($5,500 vs. average price of $3,000 for the above players). But I disagree since conventional wisdom says that stand alone players (especially with the pedigree of those mentioned above) should produce better redbook than a universal player trying to be a jack of all trades. Only the DV 27A does video plus audio. By the way, I was very impressed with the 27A as just a cd player. Of all the above I would say the Ayre was the best.

Next on my list is the Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP and the Resolution Audio Opus 21. However, I must tell you I am really impressed with the DV 50 and all the great reviews are absolutely true. I've noticed that many people who are using it or comparing to other players are using the RCA analog outs instead of the balanced outs. There is a significant improvement in sound if you use the balanced outs and I'm only interested in hearing comments from people who have compared it against other players using the balanced outs on the DV-50.

My system components are as follows:

B&W N803's speakers & HTM-1 center
Cary Cinema 5 (5 x 200) amp
Anthem D1 Statement pre/pro
Esoteric DV 50
Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker wire
Nirvana SX balanced interconnects from DV-50 to Anthem
Acoustic Zen Matrix reference II interconnects from D1 to Cary
No after market power cords or isolation equipment

My system sounds great! Those who comment please make sure to specify what specific improvements you heard over the DV 50 and what cdp were you comparing it against.

AVGURU
avguru
Though I have not personally heard it, many I know swear by the Reimyo CDP-777 for single box CD only player sweepstakes.
Sinosin,

You and I have talked and we both have a love for (and have aggressively defended) the playback of the DV-50. It is a tremendous player (especially in its price range) and I highly recomnmend it.

However, this evening I had the pleasure of finally getting a first hand audition of the new XO1. I'm here to tell you (and you know how loyal I've been to the DV 50) that it is in a totally different league than the DV-50. I AB'ed the two units side by side.

First of all, I know you love SACD. In SACD this player is simply awesome. The air, sense of space around instruments, floating highs, breathiness of vocals, expansive soundstage, etc is just breathtaking. It was like I heard SACD for the first time...I'm not kidding. It was better than vinyl.

Regarding redbook, this also blows away the DV-50. I now realize the DV 50 has slightly excessive (maybe a better word is overly aggressive) dynamics and the sound is somewhat forward and highly energetic with loads of detail. The DV 50 has balls and doesn't try to hide it. It runs full out in a sprint and shows you everything it has. I loved this sound (especially the transparency and detail) until I heard thew XO1 tonight. I regret auditioning this player as now I want one.

In comparison, the XO1 is a much smoother and more even handed player. It takes you on a gently undulating ride on the waves of the water. Even when large dynamic swings in the music occurs it never loses its compusure. Wheareas the DV 50 might startle you with these swings, the X01 presents them in all their glory but on an even keel.

The soundstage is slightly wider but the presentation is less forward than the DV 50. Detail is abundant but its not waving its hand saying "here I am" like the DV 50. I listen to a lot of jazz and what I really noticed is that symbols, brushes on symbols, bells and other percussive detail are not as exaggerated or upfront. The DV 50 tends to spotlight these sounds and bring them too far forward in the soundstage. The XO1 provides the same detail but it doesn't unnaturally highlight it like the DV 50 can. Transients have more snap and are quicker. The bass has even more impact and slam than the DV 50 but with a touch more definition. Its a highly evolved and sophisticated sounding player.

The other two areas that it excels in is a richer, fuller sound (I noted pianos sound more richer and life like) and space. The space around instruments was incredible. With the DV 50, sometimes instruments on densely packed musical passages (i.e 5 or more instruments playing at the same time) fight with each other for space within the soundstage. A saxaphone may have a hard time breathing and showcasing its full tonal and timbral traits because the piano, guitar, bass and strings are all playing loudly at the same time. The XO1 easily allows each instrument to "breathe" through the musical mix.

The funny thing is the DV 50 is still a great redbook and SACD player and if I had never heard the X01 I wouldn't have noticed the above "weaknesses" of the DV 50.

Now, here's the killer that I know will drive you over the edge...the XO1 sounds 2-3 times better with SACD's than with redbook! With the DV 50 sometimes a very well recorded cd can equal the sonics of an SACD. Not with the XO1. The SACD playback is consistently much better than the redbook. Its quite magical!

Since you're not particularly fond of DVD-A (I am) it appears this is the player for you. You can always find a very good yet cheap stand alone dvd player. My next goal is to audition a UX-1...but after hearing the XO1 (and noting the reviews state the XO1 is slightly better than the UX1) I may also be willing to forgo DVD-A and DVD-Video in exchange for the lovely sweet sound of cd's and SACD on the XO1.

I highly recommend you audition one!

AVGURU
AVGURU, your last post truly lifted my heart! My experience with the magical X-01 was like yours-- an unforgettable epiphany. The only thing I have found better than a pure Teac Esoteric X-01 is the X-01 augmented by a Shuniata Anaconda VX power chord connected to it.
Anaconda simply optimized what X-01 already does so well: imaging, sweet detail, sound stage in the three axis, instrument separation, and finally dramatically tightened the bass definition.
I have posted my findings on X-01 on Audiogon a couple of months ago at the following url:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1090867688&openusid&zzGuidocorona&4&5#Guidocorona
I am planning to acquire this marvellous creature early in the new year.
AVGURU - thanks for the review. I look forward to hearing your experience with the UX1 - I will in the near future be going an A/B with the UX-1 and the Goldmund 18d. I've finally found a dealer that has both!!!

Thanks again.
AVGURU, I too am happy you listened to the UX-1, as I feel that now, you are prepared to hear, and be amazed by my players. BTW I tried calling yesterday, and this afternoon. Where are u? My life is very busy now, and I know you are on vacation, but, I am not. I haqve a business to run, and a family to take care of. Call me.

Smilin