The quiet grid

"The Grid", as we audiophiles refer to it is the power in our neighborhood. You may or may not have what we call "clean" electricity. We have add on boxes that clean up your electricity if there is a problem.

Those very expensive two box units with separate power supplies solve the problem of clean electricity at a price.

I am a keen observer of "The grid"; I notice when there is a remarkable improvement in my audio for no apparent reason. The last time I noticed this, I listened to music all night long. It was on a Christmas Eve, and there was a foot of snow outside; that's when I determined this remarkable improvement was the result of a quiet "grid"; that's when there is almost no commercial or industrial activity on the "electrical grid" near you, and residential use is quiet as well.

Normally this only occurs for a short time, but it's been like that for days; this has never happened before. Our present COVID 19 lockdown condition has given us a super quiet grid. That means our modest rigs are equivalent to much more expensive rigs that have expensive power supplies.

I am going to take advantage of this by doing a lot of recording. (when my reel to reel gets out of the shop) It's extremely unfortunate that we have this super quiet grid as a result of COVID 19, but there it is.
orpheus10
The stuff is made in China because of the cheap labor, you are putting the cart before the horse.

The manufactures off shored our jobs, that's why nothing is manufactured here.
Well, the cart carries the DRIVER.. so the direction of the HORSE is determined by the driver and in this case it's the consumer.  That's the point you're missing.  Everyone understands WHY these products are manufactured offshore but it's still the CART DRIVER that makes the decisions for the direction of the horse.  If he's wakes up long enough to give the horse direction.  
The stuff you buy from EUROPE is made in China, too. Armani, Versace...Hel-loo!
Isn't that the point ? !! The wake up call is resonating world wide as is spread of this virus.. Hel-loo !

If I don't have a job because it was off shored to China, I can't buy anything anyway, so everything else is between you and who ever else is fortunate enough to have the money to consume; I'm not in it at all.