Fidelity Research FR-54 Tonearm. ANTI-SKATE???

FR-54 Tonearm came on dual arm tt I bought. I moved it to the rear board, to use with Grado Mono ME+ cartridge, 1.5g tracking weight recommended.

All is well, but, I do not see any way to adjust the FR-54 amount of anti-skate.

One dangling weight, thru one groove in a wire, that's it. Bottom of weight has threaded hole. Presumably weight can be added, but, how lessened?

On scale, the weight is 2.5g. To a bimp on the bottom of the arm, just in front of the pivot. Does that mean it is transferring it's full weight, 2.5g of anti-skate?

I want cartridge to track at 1.5g, thus want 1.5g anti-skate.

I could grind the weight down to 1.5g I suppose.

Ideas?

elliottbnewcombjr
 I would never challenge the result of your listening tests. I am happy that you have arrived at what appears to be a satisfactory amount of anti-skate. However, please don’t deny the laws of physics. No matter how many grams you put on the end of your string, the resulting AS force at the stylus tip will be much less, in grams. What you have really demonstrated is that the amount of AS needed is much less than the VTF, in grams. A few other people besides me mentioned that at the beginning of this thread. 
lewm,

thanks for all your input on this and other threads.

I've been joking about science, but hands on solved it.

my left channel on my tube amp just went silent, wish me luck.

stringreen
5,510 posts01-24-2020 10:12pm

Fuggetaboutit

If you meant, just enjoy the music without worrying about it, which in many instances is a valid idea.

not so with LP cartridge, you gotta get it right, especially anti-skate.

level tt.

protractor 4 measurements/alignment (pivot to spindle; overhang; two null points. fairly easy to get right).

azimuth is very important, I use a mirror, and check/re-check, am I sure many times, lock that headshell very tight, final check in case tightening moved it. do it again.

Vertical Tracking Angle, a bit tedious, especially if height of arm lift gets involved, but, achievable.

tracking force (anti-skate to zero) checked with a digital scale, easy.

finally anti-skate.

Listening, balance, imaging, everything opening up as intended, all comes from proper anti-skate.

Wear and Tear is related to getting anti-skate right, get the stylus to float in the groove while playing, ready to be whipsawed and sea-sawed this way and that.

The forces are tremendous. The stylus hitting dust in a groove:: A Train, traveling 60 knots/70 mph, bashing into cattle, except the cattle are in a chute.

reduces groove wear; reduces uneven stylus wear; allows cantilever shaft to be/stay straight/balanced/moving it’s magnet or coil properly within the cartridge body

allows diamond to get deeper in the groove than if it is riding one side a bit.

Get this right, then FUGGETABOUTIT, enjoy the music.

oh yeah, double check tracking/anti-skate in a few months.

Unfortunately, the anti-skate force is never exactly right from one second to the next. So to some degree I share the notion: forget about it, unless you are hearing gross distortion in one channel or another, which you noted. And you did the right thing to correct that. NOW you can forget about it.
I never heard gross distortion. I was playing MONO. I just couldn't understand no AS adjustment on FR-45 arm.

I wondered if the lack of proper anti-skate would effect the Mono SOUND and wanted to solve the physics to prevent wear of: Grooves; Stylus; Cantilever; Depth of Stylus in the groove; my ears; sleep better at night.

I used STEREO cartridge on that arm:

imbalance of l/r SOUND (not distortion) to prove:

anti-skate was too strong: left and center guitars moved right; and

no anti-skate (an option, at least temporarily) proved to be worse, right and center moved left to a greater extent.

1.36 dangling nut got beautiful STEREO balance, imaging, therefore it must be better physics for the MONO cartridge.

my dead left channel was a blown 6SL7 in the amp, just happened to have 2 in stock in my random collection, whoopee. I had inadvertently mixed my 6sn7 with my 6sl7 for a short while recently, guess it was insulted, finally resigned with no prior notice.