Low Cost DACs

Currently I have my laptop connected directly via 1/8 jack from headphone outlet into 2 RCAs directly into my tube amp. Quality of sound is lacking to say the least!
I am considering adding an inexpensive DAC ( iFi AUDIO nano iDSD LE Portable DAC  or iFi Audio nano iOne DAC ) into the stream between the laptop & amp.My question is: will this influence the overall sound I'll hear out of my speakers? Will adding such a DAC help to increase the quality of sound produced by the system?
I'm not interested in spending a lot of money on a DAC as this is a source that I don't use as much as some others already in the system.
wcc10
wcc10 OP111 posts01-16-2020 4:00pm"So upon further review, swapping out RCA cables & perhaps the unit burned in a little, I have to say that yes this laptop does sound better with this DAC. Soundstage is 'wider' and a little deeper...."

Be patient. The Modi 3 will continue to improve in SQ with additional run-in time (100 hrs min.).
I’ve read owners reviews who compared the Modi 3 and Topping D50, and they preferred the Modi. The Topping stuff can be too sharp sounding, and not enough body or depth.

I’ve got the Modi and it does benefit from breaking in.  It’s a great sounding little dac, even playing my iPhone music on iTunes.

Hi 213runnin,Yes I agree that the Modi does benefit from breaking in. It does sound better than when new. However, I do find it a bit "bright" still after about 10-15 hours. Perhaps this will be reduced by some more time playing. Hope so! Currently I have it directly connected to my tube amp via RCA cables. I had sold my last Tos Link cable so I've ordered and am awaiting delivery of a new cable today. I intend to attach it to the optical in on my Oppo SACD player. I'll post again on how this sounds!
When you get 40 to 50 hours on the Modi, it'll be much closer to the final sound.  Oh, I should ask what kind of RCA cables you have on the Modi.  In my experience anything that is fine strand copper I don't care for.  It may seem counter intuitive, but cables based on solid core individually insulated copper are truer to the signal.  

Something like Audioquest Forest or Golden Gate, or Morrow Audio MA2 RCA cables should help.
Will keep in mind the hours on the unit.I had Marrow Ma 2 Speaker & Interconnect cables. I didn't really care for them even after 200 - 300 hours of use. Of course I wasn't using them with the Modi 3 DAC.
Interconnects now are Signal Cable Copper.