Schiit Modi 3 with Google Pixel 3

Good evening to you all. I have just purchased a Schiit Modi 3 to add to my system. I do stream most of my music using Tidal and was seeking to improve the quality with this outboard DAC. My Parasound preamp does not have a built-in DAC. Sadly my music source (laptop) just died. I'm now trying to figure out how to stream Tidal from my Pixel 3.  It's my only option right now. I've tried going directly from the USB-c port on my phone to the micro USB on the Schiit Modi but it comes through with very distorted sound. I have used the dongle as that only allows a headphone jack output and I don't think there's a cable for 3.50 headphone to micro USB. I'm unclear whether or not I can go directly out of the USB-c on my phone directly to the Modi or if the phones built-in DAC is interfering with the Modi..??? Or something else perhaps.  Thank you in advance! 
icarus12
Thank you for your feedback. I too just ordered an audioquest USB to micro cable with the Dragontail adapter to go from the USB A to C for my Pixel 3 output. I'm curious as to why yours didn't work..?? I've been using the supplied cable that came with the Modi 3 DAC and an iFi adapter in the interim and it's working just fine (although the supplied cable probably is not great quality). Are you suggesting that there is some difference between the audioquest cable you're trying to use and the OTG cables?  Or, was your audioquest carbon cable just a wrong fit/type?  Thank you 
It's my understanding that OTG cables are different somehow. EJ at Wyred 4 Sound even mentioned that I would probably need an OTG cable. That was before I had even heard of OTG cables.  Not understanding the difference I went ahead and ordered the AQ Carbon that I now have no use for.

But with the AQ cable there was no comunication with the phone and DAC. It seems the OTG cable activates the "audio over usb" output from the phone whereas the standard usb cable does not. Computer stuff is so complicated sometimes! Anyway me OTG cable should be here tomorrow (Mon) and I will post how it goes.
Now maybe there is a difference between usb type C connections and usb Micro. That may be it. Glad you got it working.
So after some more research it looks like that Audioquest Dragon Tail you have is an OTG cable. So you should be all set. I also found iFi Audio makes an audiophile grade OTG cable very similar to the A.Q. Its supposed to be more flexible than the Dragon tail which many complain is to stiff. Anyway good luck and have fun!
I did buy the iFi adapter that is the equivalent of the AQ Dragontail (but it has a male USB-A end) and it streams music just fine with the Modi's supplied cord to my Android device. I also ordered an Apple camera adapter to hook to the iFi cord and will try that out with my iPhone.  It's not an OTG cord I don't think but hopefully it will work.