E V Patricians-- JBL Hartsfields- Your choice

In the mid 50's I heard both systems. The Patrician was full sounding and euphonic. The Hartsfield was punchy and bright- seemed to lack bass. Both were K horn designs but I opted for the Patricians.

I used them until I heard a QLS about 25 years ago. Now I listen to a home brew line source that is satisfying.

I guess anyone that has either of the above mentioned speakers probably can't hear above 10K HZ but what the heck.

I just bought a JBL 375 driver, six JBL LE 15 A woofers and as pair of 075 tweeters.

It's time to build an experimental speaker!

If you are listening to a JBL system that uses the afore mentioned drivers, I'd like your thoughts.

Ken
kftool
Classic Audio Loudspeakers got their start reproducing the Hartsfield.

The last time I heard one of his, he had a different woofer in it from the original. That speaker was playing bass way below the limits that it had in the 1950s!
Hello Atmasphere,

Didn't JBL have a large horn type Speaker at RAMF , did you get a chance to hear it?

regards,
Buconero 117

The Everest was the statement JBL loudspeaker. The concept was fantastic but as happens to all loudspeakers that need the room size we had in the 50s and 60s, nobody bought them.

The K horn design hits a brick wall at 35 HZ. Back in the 60s the point was moot as program material went no lower via the playback devices of that era. Now we hear TTP issues recorded in the mid 50s with sound that makes demands on the best of the best.

I'm not looking at building a statement speaker by today's standards. I feel I have that system now.

I'd like to revisit the drivers of yesteryear for the fun of it. I'll set them up in a separate room, more than big enough for the experimental speakers, and see how they sound. If they sound like hell to me, off to the kids they go. The Ipod generation doesn't know what sounds good anyway!

Ken
Weseixas, I did see a JBL speaker at RMAF. It had the horn on top, rotated 90 degrees from the traditional alignment, which is a good idea as this would favor horizontal dispersion. The tweeter horn was molded into the top.

It was not a large speaker, but it seemed to sound OK. I did not get much audition time with it.
Hello Atmasphere,

They had there larger speaker with the Levinson stuff

http://live.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/ces.pl?&MT_8024&RoomView&NV&st141&&&&&RMF10