MQA?

On my digital side I have an Aurender W20 server with a Metrum pavane level III DAC.    When I stream music I am using the HiFi TIDAL. The Metrum has an option of purchasing a card that I would install to add MQA capabilities. From what I have read there is some controversy as to whether MQA is a positive or negative to the sound of digital. I was interested in thoughts on whether I should add the module. 
rbodner
I confess I have no idea whether MQA itself is good or bad, but my only music source on all of my systems is Tidal streaming, and so therefore the only way I can hear music above FLAC quality is via Tidal Masters which necessarily involves MQA. 

So I guess technically I should amend my comments in this thread that what really sounds good to me on my reference system is Tidal Masters via MQA, whether or not the MQA itself plays a positive or negative role in the music rendering.  Either way, definitely better than straight up Tidal 16/44 flac for me on my main system.
@justjames72    

You can’t dismiss the facts by attacking the messenger. MQA adds distortion. This is a fact. Only the original lossless file has the full bit depth and correct phase preserved. MQA is both lossy and adds phase distortion (high frequencies delayed with respect to lower frequency content). These are facts.

If you prefer MQA over lossless files then so be it. There is no accounting for preference - it is entirely a subjective evaluation.
David Ten- I've seen all those and heard Bob speak on it.
None of those have technical details nor methods. They have concepts.  I'm OK with the concepts, but cannot honestly say i truly know exactly what is being done in the final unfold. That's why its burned in silicon and licensed.
Just sayin.
G
You can’t dismiss the facts by attacking the messenger. MQA adds distortion. This is a fact. Only the original lossless file has the full bit depth and correct phase preserved.
Be very careful here.  Lossless what?  Most lossless files don't even attempt to capture the extra resolution as does MQA. SO its not a valid comparison in all cases. You don't specify enough to know whether your statement, as you intended it anyway. is correct or not. As written its pretty shaky.
Now, as to phase coherency - this is a huge issue.  Is it correct in a recording after anti-aliasing filters?  I would argue no. The lossless hgih res file (or otherwise) preserves what got through the filters, which may or may not be correct. If betting i would generally bet on "not correct". So lossless then would preserve distortion faithfully.
Einstein quipped that things should be made as simple as possible but no simpler. We have violated his advice here.
G

@itsjustme  That post was a general and generic one and not directed at you. Agreed on the point you make.

@rbodner  The module lists for $250 with free shipping. Why would you not try it out??? Given the level (and cost) of your front end (Aurender W20 and Metrum Pavane Level 3) I would,.... just to get a feel for it's contributions.

I'm doing the same with a new board for my DAC and it has been an illuminating experience.