Upgrading sub to get a live feel.

I currently have a set of JBL 4319 which has its history as 4310. They are studio monitors and as a result they sound like studio monitors you hear everything, but they lack the physical presence on the low end. They have wonderful mid range and voice presence. I also have a pair of SVS SB1000 to help with the low end. 

I want to eventually upgrade to JBL 4367 with upgraded pair of subs, for this reason, but in the mean time would a sub upgrade be considered before the speakers. 

thewatcher101
Hello Watcher,

Sorry about the side-tracks. Back to your system.

I'm glad you used the crawl method and discovered your system sounds good with the PB subs located along your back wall. I believe you’ll notice significant overall system performance by addressing the front of your system and the positioning of your two SB subs.
I suggest you try abandoning using the SBs as speaker stands for your 4319s. For best results, I think you need to treat your system as two systems, a bass system and an everything else system.
The bass system you set up first by properly positioning your 4 subs for optimum bass performance in your room. This provides the solid bass foundation for your system and most music. Its ultimate effect, after your 4319s are seamlessly added as part of your everything else system, will be to make the 4319s sound like much bigger and higher quality speakers.
You need to temporarily move your 4319s out of the room. Set all subs at 50% volume, crossovers at 50 Hz and phases at zero ’0’ for this step. Then utilize the crawl method I described earlier for optimally positioning both of your SB subs in your room, which will probably be along your front 16’ wall but not necessarily. Just locate each where the bass sounds best and trust the procedure. The goal is solely to optimize the bass in your room at this stage, so take your time and get the bass sounding the best you can to you.
Your four subs now form a completely separate and independent bass system that serves as the solid foundation for the rest of your overall system. The everything else system, consisting of your 4319s properly positioned in relation to your listening seat, is also a completely separate and independent midrange and treble system that’s going to be laid on top of your solid bass foundation.
The goal in this phase is to optimize the midrange, treble and the stereo soundstage illusion created by your 4319s at your listening seat. I strongly recommend you invest in a good pair of speaker stands for your 4319s to get the midrange and treble drivers up to the height of your ears when you’re seated at your designated listening seat and to position the 4319s on stands at least 2’ away from the 16’ wall behind them. You’ll notice that, the more you move them away from the front wall, the deeper and more 3 dimensional the stereo soundstage illusion will become. 2’ out will be good but further will be increasingly better.

I think it best we pause here until you’re able to receive a good pair of speaker stands that I believe are very important for best results. In the meantime, you could just position your 4319s on the floor, not ideal but better than nothing.
Also in this meantime, I’ll write up a procedure for the final stage of properly positioning of your 4319s and how to best adjust the volume, crossover frequency and phase controls on your subs for the seamless blending or integration of your two systems.

Is this all acceptable to you? Let me know.

Later,
Tim
Hello Watcher,

Great, just so we're on the same page you need to:
1. Complete your bass system by positioning your two SBs using the crawl system.

2. Order a pair of speaker stands for your JBL 4319s. I think the best place to search is eBay and google, just search for "speaker stands for  JBL 4319 speakers" on either.  You'll probably get even better deals on them if you'll accept used ones in good condition.  
     The exact height of the stands is very important.  You should measure A. the distance from the floor to the middle of your ears when seated at your listening seat. Then measure B. the distance from the bottom of one of your 4319s to the middle of the tweeter.  Take measurement A and subtract measurement B and you'll have the exact height required for the height of your speaker stands.  
     My assignment is writing a procedure for you on how to properly position your 4319s in relation to your listening seat and how to best adjust the volume, crossover frequency and phase controls on your subs for the seamless blending or integration of your two systems. 
     Just a heads-up, when you receive the speaker stands and it's time to follow the procedures, things will be easier if you can recruit an assistant to help you out.  Without an assistant, you'll be going back and forth way too many times between your listening seat and each sub and you'll probably wind up exhausted by the time you're done. 
     Send me a pm or post again when you order the speaker stands.

Thanks,
  Tim

I already have some speaker stands I can use and the current set up has the tweeter aligned to ear level.
Hello Watcher,

Excellent, I'll try to complete the procedures today.  

Later,
Tim