Acoustic Damping Behind Speakers?

My speakers are placed about 3.5 feet from the wall behind them, which is just drywall. I get a funny echo from the wall and have been using the cushions from the sofa as dampers, which actually work fairly well. I can't imagine why, but my wife does not think this is an ideal solution, so I'm looking into some sound deadening options.

I was looking at Acoustimac panels, which are reasonable at about $50 each. Does anyone have any other favorite - and reasonably priced - products?

Also, at this point I'm only contemplating using two, placed directly behind the speakers. It would be difficult to get any more past 'she who must be obeyed'. Would this be sufficient? The room has a lot of stuffed furniture in it.

Thanks!
grimace
Fiberglass acoustic panels are readily available in most metro areas in 2'x4' panels, 2",3" & 4" thick. The 4" are under $20/sheet here. They can be covered by any cloth you desire...
The Acousticmac panels work very well for me. I use to bass versions behind the speakers and two "midrange", light thinner panels for side reflections. They also appear to be a bargain compared with others I have seen. I recommend them.
You can use a large thick backdrop (fabric).
They are heavy, that is why they are great at reducing virtually all tendencies of flutter echo and bass mumble.
You can use a wire and tension (device), torque this hard to hold the backdrop. They are avaible in many colours. It takes no space from floor, since it's close to wall and hang like an ordinary curtain.
addition to above post, you can use GIK Acoustics 242 or 244 (on stands or wall mounted) also. 244 reduce more bass/ lower mid, than 242, since it's thicker.
How about a couple large plants (artificial?) as diffusion? It works behind my panels.

I still listen to Supertramp's Crime of the Century.....and am probably down to no more than 20 active brain cells.