Media: Should we start hoarding?

Doubtless you’ve heard of the catastrophic loss of thousands of master recordings
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/magazine/universal-fire-master-recordings.html

What occurs to me as I’m sitting here listening to “Monk: Straight No Chaser” is that a LOT of recordings we are listening to today can never be re-released or remastered. The ONLY way to make new versions/re-releases  is to use copies...

It got me to consider upping my music budget and buying everything I can made either from the original master or recently remastered. 

128x128musicfan2349
Post removed 
This is not an old NYT article. The extent of what was lost just came to light. I agree with you to some extent. Many recordings done direct from master like Analogue Productions just went WAY up In value. For example, the Doors limited edition Infinite set from master tape to analogue, those can’t be redone. If those tapes were lost those records are now irreplaceable.

On our collections ending up in a dumpster, yeah. If it’s a bunch of crap. I just bought a few boxes of records at an estate sale and it turns they are all first pressing records going for hundreds each. One Lee Morgan record (Candy) is valued at around 2k. The value is there is you’re looking to invest wisely.

I think picking up recordings direct from master is always a break even proposition if you buy wisely. What was lost in that fire is gone. And this new info just coming to light. Not some old NYT article as people who didn’t bother to read it say. It’s disgraceful what happened. America’s history and culture burned and gone
I agree with Millercarbon. I would love to stop reading the Sunday Times if it were not for the crossword.  Best crossword on the market in my opinion.  Completely slanted newspaper otherwise. WSJ weekend edition much more neutral and has a great crossword (though not as good as NYT).
Had this situation when my Dad died. He had several boxes of LPs from the 50s and 60s. He also had a ton of 78s.

Through happenstance I was connected to the director of the Symphony of San Bernardino. They took them all. They sell them at fundraising auctions.

My collection of 400 or so vinyl will go to an audio store in Vegas.
Post removed