Directional cables - what does that really mean?

Some (most) cables do sound differently depending on which end is connected to which component. It is asserted that the conductor grain orientation is determining the preferential current flow. That might well be, but in most (all) cases the audio signal is AC (electrons going back and forth in the cable), without a DC component to justify a directional flow. Wouldn't that mean that in the 1st order, a phase change should give the same effect as a cable flip?

I'm curious whether there is a different view on this that I have not considered yet.
cbozdog
So far there are a few possible phenomenals but no one has really able to articulate a plausible scientific explanation. Here are some that I have heard:

1. Diode affect
2. Metal latice structure due to manufacturing process
3. Resistance (especially high freq) is different based on which direction (but the signal is AC).

The link to Roger Skoff article is helpful but I think they are more or less "conjectures" but there are really no "hard" evidence.  
Yes, there is no hard evidence and Skoff even admits it, but think about it for a minute. In the advancement of this hobby, the results have been for better isolation of components, better transmission of data, and better overall performance using better quality materials, which seem to help.

If higher metal purity results in better sound, then Skoff's imaginings show some merit. The differences can be small but the end product is a more enjoyable one, and to some, it's worth it to pursue and make.

All the best,
Nonoise
Post removed 
The signal travels in one direction down the wire >>>>>>> from the source to the load. It is NOT alternating back and forth.
The signal, energy, travels down the wire in the form of an electromagnetic wave from the source >>>>>> to the load. It is not alternating back and from the source to the load. > < > < > < > .
I understand what you’re saying, but energy flow only explains part of the equation. The other part is what in the actual metal structure that affects the flow of energy in one direction vs the other.  I mean what in the metal structure that favors the direction of energy flow.  I am still looking for a scientific explanation why in one direction, energy flow is better vs. the other.
If higher metal purity results in better sound, then Skoff’s imaginings show some merit. The differences can be small but the end product is a more enjoyable one, and to some, it’s worth it to pursue and make.
I understand. It’s like in the court of laws, there are a lot of circumstantial evidences but I am still looking for the so called "smoking gun".

For example, lets say you have a diode.  You connect a sine wave source on one end, and measure the output on the other end.  Then you connect the same sine wave source on the other end and measure on this end.  The output should be the same.  But of course its more complicated because you have a lot of these small diodes in the metal structure, not ONE diode.  So I am looking for some "hard" explanation why these diodes would make a difference.