Thoughts on extending speaker life.

For those of us who own speakers that are past a few years old, and those same speakers utilize dynamic drivers, what are your thoughts on extending the life of the rubber surround ( assuming that your driver utilizes this kind of design).
In general, as the driver ages, the likelihood of the rubber surround failing increases. Without actually replacing the driver ( not possible in some instances) what do you suggest to extend the life of the driver(s), if anything?

For those with other types of driver design, what are your concerns about the extended usage of this kind of driver as it ages?

128x128daveyf
Will speakers last longer if they're used only occasionally?  I have so many and I don't use some of them much at all. Is this a way of making them last? In my case I'm thinking more of parts like crossover caps and such.
LOL! Just listen to the music already, geeez. Speakers last decades so who cares!!!! Rotating woofers, silicone hahaha..
@tlinkie --

Will speakers last longer if they're used only occasionally? I have so many and I don't use some of them much at all. Is this a way of making them last? In my case I'm thinking more of parts like crossover caps and such. 

On the contrary; using them regularly I believe is beneficial to overall speaker performance and -longevity, as I suggested earlier in this thread. Cross-over parts don't degrade with use, but because of time (although it seems quality components can last decades and still maintain specs) - that is, unless they're glowing hot from each playback-workout. Poster @johnk summarized the matter succinctly above. 
Thanks phusis. Some of my speakers are very fine and I do want to maintain them in as good a shape as possible. Can't listen to them all though. I guess this means I have too many. Or not....
too many.

I have saved 'great' stuff for so long, moving it out now bit by bit

physically don't want to pick up anything heavy (bad back, bad knees, bad attitude).

take up too much space

price drops to nothing for most, better to sell when there is more to get out of them.

we are more likely to move on to something 'new to us' than go back.

you know what you will NEVER part with, off with the rest!