Music lover or audiophile?

I think you have to decide, are you a music lover or audiophile?  I know the majority will say, both.
 I’m not so sure though. The nature of audiophilia is to get in there and fiddle with the tools, like any other hobbyist.  The difference in our hobby though is that presumably, our ultimate goal is to have the best musical experience we can get. The hobbyist is never really finished. The manipulation of the materials is the fun. The music lover, however, wants to get the most out of that esthetic experience.  
By continually plying materials, the audiophile is on an endless quest for better sound.
 After years of this quest, I’ve decided I can be a music lover or an audiophile.  I’m happy listening to my system now the way it is.  So, I’ve decided to be a music lover once again.
128x128rvpiano

There is a difference but I suspect that most audiophiles are music lovers to some degree but I'm not so sure that a music lover is always an audiophile.   One is about the accuracy of reproduced music and the other is simply the love of music whether it is reproduced or live.  I don't see a problem with being both or being just one.  

Do you?

An audiophile is a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction. ... Audiophile values may be applied at all stages of music reproduction: the initial audio recording, the production process, and the playback, which is usually in a home setting.

A music lover is: One who loves music

I personally enjoy the pursuit of recreating music that I love in my own living space.

Sam 
Having nice gear let’s me enjoy the music more. Hearing more of what the players are doing with their instruments makes me feel closer to the performance and to what their intentions were when making it, and nicer gear maximizes that capability. I don’t enjoy listening to the same jazz piece as much through my phone on a plane as I do listening at home though it’s the same great tune! 
Is this a Kill Bill Volume 2 question?

Budd:
So, which "R" you filled with?

Elle Driver:
What?

Budd:
They say the number one killer of old people is retirement. People got a job to do, they tend to live a little bit longer so they can do it. I've always figured that warriors and their enemies share the same relationship. So, now that you're not gonna have to face your enemy no more on the battlefield, which "R" you filled with? Relief or regret?

Elle Driver:
A little bit of both.

Budd:
[bleep]. I'm sure you do feel a little bit of both. But I know damn well that you feel one more than you feel the other. And the question was, which one is it?

Elle Driver:
[pause] Regret.

Selecting which "R" is which, is left as an exercise to the reader...
I have thought a lot about this over the years when, on a recurring basis, you read an article in a hi-fi magazine that says it is "all about the music." It's not. 

I agree with the poster above who said live music is his passion.  It is undoubtedly mine. And that passion extends to classical and popular music.

I am unashamed to say I think the equipment is interesting and fun too. When I was 16 I lied about my age and got a job as a salesman at Dixie Hifi in Indianapolis. I put myself through college and law school working at various stores on the east coast. Those were incredibly happy times for me.I still buy a new piece of used gear about once a year and it always spurs long listening sessions. I have no friends who are into audio but they are amazed by my system.

I play mostly vinyl of rock and Americana music at home because for me it provides a satisfying experience of listening to studio produced albums. It does not provide the thrill of a live symphony nor sitting in a club listening to an amplified acoustic duo.  Unlike hearing live music though, it allows you to be much more aware of lyrics and the art of production values.  For example, Jason Isbell live in concert is a totally different proposition than on record.  I don't want to have to choose just one because both are equally valid and compelling. 

Unlike fast cars, I get the maximum performance out of my system every time I use it.  What else can you say that about? This is a great hobby.

I don't think that those claiming that they are music lovers but not much or at all audiophiles are really music lovers. Music doesn't exist without sound. If something doesn't sound good enough it is not music, it is noise in which one can barely capture the outlines. True music lover must be an audiophile too, there is no other way. Another question is how far you go in pursuit of a great sound even if you have the resources and space. That's personal and debatable.