Technical Question

I know if I use the "analog audio" outs of a CD player, the actual player is doing the DAC. If I use digital out (optical, coaxil), the receiver will do the DAC. Now, does the same apply with video? If I use the HDMI connection on a blu ray player and connect to my TV, does the TV do the actual video conversion? Just curious...If the TV does the conversion, why spend more on a top line BD player (disregarding features...just talking about video quality)?
aberyclark
I agree, the quality of TV is more important than the quality of BluRay player. It was more important with DVD as the player had to deal with interpolation and deinterlacing of video. With 1080 contents and 1080 display there is no such need.
Post removed 
Many of the tests done by those magazines are error handling tests. It shows how well the player handles disks with mastering error, such as showing video cadence on film material. Such tests are easily done, and the results can be easily compared quantitatively. But I don't see a lot of tests on those magazines that deal with quality of video decoder, which is the subject of the discussion here.

24FPS vs 30FPS issue is a good point, and it's the display that needs to handle such input, not the player. Many of the displays being sold today support 120Hz or 240Hz, which are multiples of 24 and don't have any issue handling 24FPS source material.
Post removed