Help buying a television

My girlfriend and I will be moving to a new house, and the room for the TV is much larger than in our current setup. She loves football (yes, some guys do get lucky), so the NFL via DirecTV will be the primary focus. We'll be about 12 feet from the screen. From what I've been reading a 50- or 55-inch screen would be about right for that distance. Also, I've read that plasma is still thought of as best for sports.
Do these bits of information seem correct? Anything else we should consider? Recommendations -- including brands -- would be greatly appreciated.
FYI: I posted this under "Home Theater" because that made the most sense. That said, this will be a set on the wall, not a real home theater.
Thanks so much for your help.

-- Howard
hodu
I have a 50" plasma at about 9', which is the recommended distance. I think you would want at least 60" if you are 12' away - do a google search and look up recommended viewing distances. At any rate, as big as you can afford. I can't believe how much difference there is - so much easier on the eyes.

And yes, plasma is WAY better than LCD for sports or movies - they have much better blacks, which makes all the color better.
If you can control the ambient light in the room. A front
projector is another avenue.No panel can match the immersion
you would get from a 100 inch screen. At 12 feet, a 100
inch screen would be exciting! I agree with others about the
size. 50 inches is much too small at 12 ft viewing
distances. Once you become accustom to it..there's no going
back to the little 50 inchers for serious viewing,whether
plasma or LED/LCD!

You could easily do it for the cost of some of the TVs
mentioned here..maybe less in some cases.

Good luck
I ran across a contrarian view when I was TV shopping a couple of years ago: the CAO (Canadian Association of Optometrists) recommends a viewing distance of 5 times the width of the picture -- which means something like a 32 or 37 inch screen for a 12 foot viewing distance!
Plasma is Still King. Good luck trying to find a Pioneer Elite Kuro. There are good alternatives though. The latest LCDs such as the Samsung 8500 have very good PQ. Personally though I still much prefer a plasma picture.
Two suggestions: Go atleast 58" or better yet 65". The Panasonic Viera is a great set- I would take plasma over LCD (block smearing and unnatural flesh tones).
Kuro is a desirable model, but the current Panasonics are very very good (go for middle tier version- I think it goes like G, S and V?)