Vibratory or Not?

This is a discussion that for me began on the Stereophile forum which went horribly wrong in my opinion. I was wondering though if this same topic could be discussed here as it comes up a lot in one form or another. My background has been about vibratory tuning as far back as the 70's work in the recording industry and continued into home audio and beyond. The audio signal is one that can be easily tuned, I doubt there is much room there for debate, but we will see, it's Audiogon after all. This being the case I have always concluded that the audio signal is vibratory so has anyone I have ever worked with. It's a common and sometimes even daily practice for someone here to make a vibratory adjustment changing the sound which is obvious to all.

On some of these forum threads however you will see posts saying to get rid of the vibration, without any explanation as to how to remove vibration without altering the audio signal. Every vibratory move I have ever seen done changes the performance of the sound. I've also been a part of the variables of the audio signal during play in real time. If the audio signal is not vibratory how does it change?

I invite you to discuss the vibratory structure and nature of the audio signal.

thanks, lets keep trolling to a minimum please

128x128michaelgreenaudio
Post removed 

Geoff asked

"Oscillation is not vibratory. Agree? Disagree?"

The term vibration is precisely used to describe mechanical oscillation. That's a wiki quote.

Yes oscillation is vibratory. Oscillation is another very cool word. Vibration, oscillation, cycles, field, harmonics, force, motion we have a lot of great words to use in audio.

I know what you're saying though Geoff and have said about vibrations in the negative sense as a random disrupter and don't want to marginalize that thought, because vibration is also used as the word that causes distortions. I give the word more latitude as in being in or out of tune. If a vibration is in-tune it's a great thing but out of tune not so. And tune itself is interesting because something out of tune can still have harmonics (or partial) in action.

I love the whole science of variables and how it works with the audio signal.

mg

Yikes, sorry Geoff I see you removed the question. Oh well it's a good question and needs to be asked and explained, because in this hobby vibration is so often used as a villain.
I only ask good questions. Let’s see if someone gets the right answer. 😛

It all hinges on how one defines the word vibration. And on how one defines the audio signal. So, unless everyone agrees on terms, which I actually don’t see happening, it will always be a Tijuana stand-off. One way to figure out if vibration isolation is real is to isolate a component and see if it improves the sound. You don’t have to be a rocket scientist. 🚀

There are many inexpensive ways to isolate a CD player, preamp or amplifier. Here are a few.

1. 3 Super Balls (1”) in short glass candle holders with inside diameter 1 1/2”
2. Suspension using bungee cords
3. Compression springs of the correct stiffness and geometry
4. Very small bicycle inner tube, inflate to 15-30 psi depending on weight of component, not too stiff, not too floppy
More to discover