Apogee Duetta vs Mangnepan 3.6r

I have never heard the Apogee Duetta speakers and was wondering how they compare to the Magnepan 3.6rs. The Apogee Duetta would probably be a good match for my Sonic Frontiers Power 3 tube amps. Are there any draw backs to buying Apogee Duetta speakers this late in the game? What about support?
coxhaus
I went from a modified Magnepan 3.6r (rebuilt xovers, rewired new terminals etc) to Duetta sigs which I completely refurbished and brought up to 21 century standards.

If you go for it with the 3.6r and fix the xover and stands etc, you will have a hell of a speaker. But the Apogee if updated with the latest ribbons etc will be capable better dynamics and volume although even more critical of the electronics in front. I would say the 3.6 is a little more forgiving. My Duettas were sublime and a great speaker if powered correctly.
Agree with Dave. I owned both Caliper and Duetta.

The 3.6 are outgunned by both.

No contest.

IMO
Hello Coxhaus,

I own Apogees (three pairs and a center) and have owned Maggies in the past. I have heard the Magnapan 3.6R's and think that they have potential. Read the North East Wisconsin Audio Society review of the 3.6R for potential upgrades, (newaudiosociety dot com) and then keep in mind that the author sold his modded 3.6's not long after writing the article.

I have heard my friend George's system (previous poster Thesoundhouse) numerous times which included stock Apogee Duetta Signatures, a Sota Star Nova and Pass Labs electronics, and have been drawn in by the Duetta's transparency and detail. The Maggies tend to lack both those qualities unless you perform some serious upgrades to the stands and the crossovers.

Apogees require a good bit of clean power to make them sing, so don't expect to get by with low power or low quality amplification.

There are a Richard Murry restored pair on Audiogon today if you have about $7900 to spend on your drug habit (I meant audio system). I heard a Richard Murry restored pair three years ago at RMAF and it was the best sounding system at the show.
Regarding the "North East Wisconsin Audio Society review of the 3.6"...I remember him from several forums, and he did post here very often....(Rooze).

He tried very hard to get the Maggies to surpass his Apogee Calipers (the Apogee were bright yellow!)...he sold the Maggies and kept the Caliper. He did like the Maggies for the most part though.

I'm pretty sure that he moved on to some BIG HORN type speakers after a while (but still has the yellow Calipers).

Dave
I'll be the dissenting view. I LOVE Apogees (at least, the Stage, Diva, and most of all the Scintilla) but have never warmed up to any iteration of the Duetta. If someone would give me either pair, I'd take Maggie 3.6s over Apogee Duettas any day of the week.