Best Amp to drive my Apogee Stages?

Greetings all.
I am wondering if I might get some good suggestions from anyone who might be firmiliar with the Apogee Stages. I have owned them for quite awhile, but due to blowing up my Krell (300i)intergrated amplifier more than once now (a $400 bill to fix it each time) I beleive that it is time to buy the right amplifier for the job. I need more power for sure, but my wallet is light these days. This means that I must minimize my purchase to something definitly under $2K and even more like $1200 price range. This seems to limit me quite a bit in my findings, but I am wondering if I might have missed something with my research so far? I have reviewed Krell, Levinson, Pass Labs and Threshold to date. Each have older options in my price range, but I am not certain if any will work better with my speakers?

Any thoughts out there?

Thank you in advance.

-LoveItLoud
loveitloud
Gallant_diva:
I have never heard anything finer than the Apogee Fullrange. Why play with stages when you have the REAL thing?

-LIL
Good comment, Lil. I love to engage in such discussions. I own two Fullranges and I agree that it is one of finest speakers ever made. It has got everything: might, power, authority, finesse, romance, subtlety, you name it. However, I have improved it further and I know I am speaking for myself and for my taste.However, the Stage has something that none of the other Apogees have, and that is some magic in the midrange which gives a greater feeling of the singer or instrument being present there. One reason for that could be the Mylar backed ribbon instead of the regular kapton or pure ribbon (but shadowed by transformers). Another reason is the crossover. These factors combined add something into the Stage that is hard to describe in words. Call it audio chemistry :) I never had that feeling with the Diva or other Apogees - certain scintillas come very close though. Now keep in mind that the Fullrange in contrast has its own magic and does not seem to miss anything, and the differences are rather minuet. But if I am listening to vocals only I do not want to stop if it is coming from the Stage.
My only 1 issue with my only listening experience with THE Apogee was the way it highlighted the flaws in every recording I listened to. It was so defined that I could not play any of todays music due to the limited digital range of the recordings. Some were worse than others, but it made me realize how important the recording process is when you are any kind of Audiophile. I really consider myself an audio enthusiast: meaning just a guy who loves listening to any genre of music, but not very technical at the same time. But BOY, when I heard a good recording nothing could touch what I had as a reference before that experience.

As far as my Stages, I have only driven them with my Krell KAV-300i so far. I can't wait to experience them with an amplifier that matches them correctly. I sure do know what you are referring to with the vocals. They are magic for sure.

By the way what do you drive the Fullrange with? It seems like you need some heavy duty fire power for those.

-LitL
LitL: You made another very important point, that is a truly outstanding and revealing system can expose all the drawbacks of a poor recording. That is the case with THE Apogee. I fully concur. So the solution is do not play poor recording on it!! Garbage in, garbage out. The speaker is so ruthless that it conceals nothing. On top of that if your electronics is also of the same calibre, you are asking for more trouble,

The Stage in contrast is more forgiving, which can be a blessing sometimes. Glad to know you also own Stages. By the way, I have also listened to the Stage with a Krell KSA-100 for quite some time and boy do they sound good with a Krell also.

My fullrange is driven by all tubes. Yeap, all tubes. To my knowlege I am the only person on the planet who is driving this speaker with all tubes. Right now the system is bi-amped with TRL GT-800 at the bottom and TRL GT-400 at the top, collectively using 144 tubes.

My system is given here at A'gon:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1066703453

See details.