The Science of Cables

It seems to me that there is too little scientific, objective evidence for why cables sound the way they do. When I see discussions on cables, physical attributes are discussed; things like shielding, gauge, material, geometry, etc. and rarely are things like resistance, impedance, inductance, capacitance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t cables discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?

Seems to me like that would increase the customer base. I know several “objectivist” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests. If there were measurements that correlated to what you hear, I think more people would be interested in cables. 

I know cables are often system dependent but there are still many generalizations that can be made.
128x128mkgus
Good info in many directions. When I developed the Proclaim Audioworks Dmt-100 I contacted many speaker cable manufacturers to get samples to try. I had a unique problem though, crosstalk between bass, midrange,  and high. I put the crossover external to take the caps and coils out of the tubulance happening inside the speaker enclosure, thus calling the components to sing. What I found for the best cable in numerous hours of experimenting, Teflon coated, plenum cat 5e solid conductor, 5 of them braided. 2 for the woofer, 2 for the mid and one for the tweet.  It jumped out! In all aspects of the listening criteria. So experimenting and the technical are both needed in my opinion:)
@mkgus and others here

1. The real science of "cables" is too difficult for most audiophiles to understand. Don't believe me? Try reading this book https://www.amazon.com/Classical-Electrodynamics-Third-David-Jackson/dp/047130932X If you get through Chapter 8 and solve the problems in it (I have), then you can claim the moral right to talk about the science of "cables". Otherwise, please show a bit of humility.

2. If you do the above, you will understand that the audiophile babble about "cables" is mostly stupidity, spewed by dumb or uneducated people who want to sound knowledgeable.

3. And finally, at audio frequencies, cables don't matter. If they make a difference in you system, you have a crappy amplifier.

Hi Dan

My cables are similar with a few treatments applied. I have mine made in bulk single rolls and then do my baking, cracking the seal, baking again and curing, then spinning, and more curing. A few steps kind of tricky to get my sound. But, if I were a DIYer I would do exactly what you are talking about. I’d get me a box of that stuff and start playing around till I got the sound I wanted and be done with it. I’ve compare the Plenum Cat 5e against mine doing the same treatment on it that I do and was pretty please with it’s performance. It’s not quite the performance I look for because it’s made spun but with a little work and a few very slow back and forward spins it almost relaxed enough to start from scratch. That stuff did however beat up on a lot of wire out there, most I would say. It’s fun designing wire but for the guy not going over board and wanting a wire that out does the big bucks guys, there you go.

I know you don't need my indorsement but nice job!

good to see you

Michael Green

@ ieales

To claim "TEO’s Liquid Cable interconnect cables are best characterized by their absence of character. … etc." strains credibility.

If the cables are not in fact a flowing material, then the "Liquid" moniker is just more marketing malarkey

A couple of things.

First the cables in fact use a liquid metal as a conductor, an eutectic alloy of gallium, indium and tin, which neatly undercuts your claim that the only metal that is liquid at room temperature is mercury. And btw it does not behave at all like that mercury based straw-man fabulation you just created, so we can throw that bit of nonsense out the window as well.

And two, if you haven’t actually heard the cables you most certainly have no credibility in making judgement about our cables, strained, diced, mashed or otherwise.