Single-ended vs. Balanced input for Pass Labs XA30.8 (input will be a Golden Gate DAC)

I'm seriously considering getting a Lampizator Golden Gate DAC (with volume control) and it would go directly into my amp (Pass Labs XA30.8). I will be placing the DAC very close to the amp and use a high quality interconnect between the units. The interconnect will about 2 feet long.

Now I need to decide if I should get a balanced or single ended Golden Gate DAC. The obvious benefit of single ended is that it is a lot cheaper, and trying out new tubes will be a lot cheaper.

I often hear people saying that Pass Labs amps sound better when using balanced inputs (from a true balanced source) rather than single ended inputs.

I would love to get impressions of people that have tried out both single ended and balanced inputs into Pass amps. Is there really a sonic advantage to balanced even for short runs with high quality interconnects? If you have tried both, how much of a difference do you hear?

Another option is to get a single ended Golden Gate DAC without a volume control and connect it to a high quality balanced preamp. However, from the discussions that I have read on the forums, it sounds like I would need a really expensive preamp to sound better than the Golden Gate's volume control, which would defeat the purpose. So, I would like to avoid this option. Moreover, I personally have not found a preamp that I have loved (although what I have tried is at a very different price point). I currently have a Benchmark DAC3. I have tried a (PS Audio BHK Signature, Schiit Freya, and Linear Tube Audio MircoZotl preamp). All had some advantages, but in all cases, I much preferred the Benchmark plugged in directly to the amp.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
strats
I have Pass equipment and prefer the sound when balanced. My DAC is a Luxman DA06 which offers both RCA and balanced and I like the balanced sound better. Previously I used  Bryston DAC with the same results.  According to Pass Labs a single ended input is cloned and inverted to create a balanced signal for internal usage.
Thanks shannere! This is helpful. The DA06, has no volume control, right? Did you connect it to a Pass preamp? Were the connections from the DAC to preamp and preamp to power amp the same for the comparisons (single ended / balanced)? Roughly how long were the interconnects?

Was it the same with the Bryston DAC?
strats
Both DAC’s were connected to a Pass preamp with 1 meter Shunyata interconnects. Pass literature recommends a balanced connection. The Luxman padded their outputs for the same voltage but the Bryston had double the voltage on balanced lines both claimed to be fully differential balanced units.  I do not know if the Lampy has a voltage differential balanced or if the increased voltage is necessary.