Watts, and clarity.

Is it still true that all other things equal in a stereo system, that watts do more to clarify sound quality, than watts to to increase decibel output?, or has newer technology changed this? I used to hear that it takes ten times the watts to double the decibel output "all other things in the stereo system being equal". This was back in the 80’s that I heard this. I also remember hearing that it took 24, 400 watt power amps to reproduce the sound of scissors snapping without cutting of the sound wave on an oscilloscope. Is this true?
rickytickytwo
FWIW - Sensai Pass attributes "the first watt is the most important watt" comment to Dick Olsher.

From NP’s introduction to his First Watt company...
http://www.firstwatt.com/

"Dick Olsher famously remarked that 'The first watt is the most important watt.' This sentiment has also been expressed by others as “Who cares what an amplifier sounds like at 500 watts if it sounds like crap at one watt?” With this in mind, I created First Watt in 1998 as a "kitchen-table" effort, exploring unusual low power amplifiers with an emphasis on sound quality."

+1@prof. He chimes in out of nowhere with nothing but abrasive, demeaning, over the top insults and accusations seldom based in reality and adds nothing of substance to any discussion. Which poses the question: What circumstances in his life caused him to be such a tool?