Elac Loudspeakers?

Does anyone have any experience with these speakers? I'm looking at 208A, my only concern is the current since they drop down to 3ohms. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks!
mr_elusive
Depends::
How loud do you intend to play 'em? What is the electrical phase angle and the frequency of the low impendance dip?
Under moderate phase angles and at high frequencies where there is lower musical energy, you should be able to get away with nearly any good amp which will not meltdown into 4 ohms.
If it measures something weird, like 60degrees from 100hz to 600hz with the impedance dip in that range, you'll need some substantial amp to back it up.
disclaimer::
Never heard 'em, but simply speaking from an electrical / engineering view.
Hello Mr elusive:

In the interest of full disclosure, let me say that I am a dealer for ELAC speakers and highly recommend these understated given fairly specific sonic taste and gear. The Elacs are clearly not for everyone, but, like most great products in our hobby they each, respectively, have great attributes that appeal to various personal preferences.

That said, I've heard Elacs sound horrible in some systems, and sound absolutely glorious in others. IMO, this disparity may be greater with this line of speakers than many other brands.

The subject of your post is at or near the top of the list of criteria that most effect your prospective success with Elacs. Yes, they will drop down into the low 3 ohm impedance range with some regularity. Nominal impedance is not much better at a fairly realistic 4 ohms. Sensitivity, as you have probably researched is in the upper 80s depending upon the measurement criteria. (I think the rated 90db Elac rating may be a bit high.)

Magfan makes a great point and his comments do apply to the Elacs, at least in part. I have found that the Elacs benefit from "fast" high current, high power solid state amps. While the manufacturer ratings are as low as 30 watts, I would recommend a minimum of 100W or more as long as it is "good quality, very clean" power. A high dampening factor will help with the Elacs

The Elacs are extremely revealing and will also bring to light blatant deficiencies in your system. Cabling and source components will be revealed more with the Elacs than with many systems, but keep in mind that if your get the system right, you'll be highly rewarded.

I'd be happy to share additional insight into these wonderful speakers if you have any more questions. Thanks for the opportunity to "chime in".

Auaravis Systems LLC
www.auravissystems.com
Ad,
So what IS the phase data for the Elac speakers? You can phrase it and post it as either a curve, Smith Chart, any other graphic, or just give the peak phase angle at a frequency.

Sorry, but I'm a #s kind of guy. Hi 80s sensitivity doesn't scare me. Watts are fairly inexpensive, though 'good' watts are by no means cheap!

Vacuum tubes typically don't like one kind of reactive load.....I simply don't know if it is capacitive or inductive so adding power to this kind of load is, if not futile, than more expensive than need be.

Just my strongly held opinion, but giving just impedance data is incomplete.
My Panels are pretty much straight across at just over 4 ohms with a substantial peak near the x-over. But....and this is more important, the phase angle is fairly benign, going from inductive to capacitive thru the x-over region at moderate angles.

Again, speaking simply from an engineering / electrical perspective.
Magfan:

In spite of being an engineer by original trade, I can't say that spend quite as much time analyzing empirical data associated with gear as I should. It's often confusing to the average, prospective client, but I do believe that this approach is very valuable assuming the testing is performed properly. Cudos...

That said, I was able to find an impedance graph in "Australian HIFI" magazine of all places. (The full written test can be found on the Elac Site.)

A PDF of the frequency response and impedance graphs can be found at:

http://igs.avhub.com.au/IgnitionSuite/uploads/docs/Elac_testresult.pdf?128832011748371250

Keep in mind that the test is for the Elac FS249. This is essentially the higher cost audiophile version of the 208 referenced by Mr Elusive but should behave similarly given the same basic design. The curves do indicate a dip in the 20-40Hz range and a significant dip again in the 60 - 200Hz range. I believe this would support my observed demanding nature of the speakers for high quality amplification, in spite of the fact that the sensitivity rating is fairly "friendly".

Thanks for the technical prospective. It's a reminder that we should consider more than one prospective on how we evaluate products in our business. BTW: My experience with tube gear with the Elacs supports your assumptions as well. I have not had good luck driving Elacs with the several lines that I carry.

Thanks
My apologies! .... KUDOS! ( I apparently I'm better at Audio than spelling.)